Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Passing of the Mantel


This is a repeat of a previous post on my blog
but it is a thought that I feel more strongly
with each day, especially after I read a comment
on Facebook written by a precious young
pastor's wife. So unassuming were her words but
how touching they were. Her words portrayed hers
and her husband's burden for their city and the
people the Lord has given them to lead.
Well, here goes!

I believe that we are living in the disposition of passing the mantel from one generation to another. Looking at the (majority of) men and women arising in the ministry, I am most thankful. Many I have watched from the days of their youth, noting their growth and dedication in the Lord. It has been exciting, and sometimes humbling. (I must admit in a few cases, it’s been disappointing; but only with a very, very slight group who seek material benefits and look for position). BUT away with the negative! It's the Positive that touches my heart - The Lord has chosen well the future leaders of His great church.

The calling of God can never be taken lightly for it comes attached with much commitment. In Mark, the 10th chapter, Jesus told His disciples that the rulers in the world lord over the people, while its officials flaunt authority over those under them. He went on to say, BUT whoever wants to be a leader among His disciples must first become a servant – and further stated that He came not to be served but to serve others. What a sober thought – to do His will means putting self last in order to be a true called one of God. Wow! Putting self aside to serve can be awfully lonely at times as well as there's always the chance of being misunderstood. It also requires being faithful when nobody is looking. Thank God, there is a new generation of men and women willing to do this. Willing to “serve” in order to see the Lord’s Cause and His prophesies fulfilled.

Yes, I have faith in our new generation of ministry – just like I have had faith in the elder ministry that has taken me and mine this far. With the new generation of ministry, we will continue to be in capable hands. I have faith in their enthusiasm, and their energies to fast, pray, witness, preach, teach, counsel, comfort, and carry the burden for souls. I have faith that they will stand their ground and battle for what is right and what is good in the face of impending chaos. I have faith that they will be there for me, and I can trust their counsel and keeping of my soul. I have faith to trust in the Passing of the Mantel.

1 comment:

Just a thought said...

I could not agree more with you!!