Friday, October 30, 2009

Beware of the Plastic!

The other day I was looking at the various masks for Halloween - some scary, some subtle, even some looking sweet. They were all masks to cover the real identity of a person; however, it's what's behind a mask that is the real, the genuine, the authentic person, not a character. This is true of life. We confront people everyday that wear masks - some need our help for they are crying on the inside but others would rip tenderness from our hearts. Well, with all that said: Here's a repeat of a post I previously did, and it tells perfectly how I feel today.

Years ago, a certain set of words came to my mind - ones I have never forgotten, What were they? BEWARE OF THE PLASTIC! Well, being an average “Joe” – on second thought, “Joette” - I thought it meant use of my credit card so I quickly checked to make sure that I wasn’t abusing that little piece of (security??). However, the words continued to echo for weeks in my mind, and then one day - WHAM, they came alive - Beware of those wearing Masks - wearing “plastic” faces in order to conceal their true identity (i.e., character). Using Pretense! Yes, we all see them, know them, and are approached by them. They may be Plastic Faces that worship and fellowship with us, work with us at our jobs, live beside us as neighbors, perhaps even some may be kin folk, and the list could go on and on (I'll let you let your mind take you there).

I know you probably think I am “hung up” on being careful. Well, I am! The Word tells us to do so, particularly in the hour in which we live. Deception, deceit, pretense, whatever you want to call it is FOR REAL folks. There are those among us wearing the disguise of righteousness, goodness and honesty - making His Word fit their lifestyle, their wants, and their desires. Caught up in the “I”, “Me”, “Mine”, "Myself" syndrome - serving God without any compromise of their thought process. And they desire for us to join them - to compromise our walk with Him.

Oh, how important it is to hold firm to our faith and belief in the truths of God’s Word and His teachings. We must seek out the Better Way. As for me, I plan to heed the words offered me a little over 40 years ago - BEWARE OF THE PLASTIC!


4 comments:

Kathy McElhaney said...

This is a word fitly spoken. I believe one of the greatest challenges facing us is knowing the difference between real and plastic.

Just a thought said...

The faces or mask that some ware, will so very often tell us more about the person holding the mask than the mask.

Mervi

Catherine Roseberry-Meyer said...

Mervi, I think you got something there...

April Renee said...

So true!!!! It's scary....