Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Today's Travels

Since it seems that me and The Papa won't be able to make a physical trip to Yosemite this year, I'm taking one in the crevices of my mind. You know, this mental trip isn't so bad after all. Today my mind is at the Ahwahnee Hotel, built in 1927, sitting elegantly in the Yosemite Valley - how it enhances God's beautiful nature. However, I could go on and on - Half Dome, Glacier Point, Yosemite's Upper & Lower Falls, Bridal Veil Falls, Nevada Falls, and landmarks and beyond - all contribute to Yosemite's magnificent portrayal of God's Creative Hand. Wow, my brain is spinning thinking of the miles of trees, the hiking trails, rivers, lakes, and the striking mountains. I hate missing being there this year but, Lord willing, there is always next year.

BTW, my dad's grandparents spent their summers here in the Valley floor (1870s-1900s). My dad's folks passed away when he was young so a lot of his time was spent in Yosemite too. The family would take their cattle up to graze, bringing the herds up from Oakdale/Knights Ferry into the mountains. Heading down into the Central Valley for the winter, my Great Grandma & Grandpa Campbell and the kids would divide their time between their Knights Ferry and San Francisco residences. Great Grandpa loved the greyhound races, and Great Grandma just loved San Francisco. No, I wasn't around in those days, but I have a few days when I feel that old. (wink)






6 comments:

Kathy McElhaney said...

I love Yosemite! So many wonderful memories. #1 being that is where Les proposed!!

Hmmm... think we'll make a trip up there Thanksgiving weekend!

Just a thought said...

I could not agree more with you this is one of the most beautiful spots on earth. Just a couple hours drive for us. We have spent more than one day just sitting and letting the mind and spirit enjoy the creative glory of our God.

Mervi

Carol Connell said...

Hi Karen,

I too, love Yosemite! We have some happy memories that we made there too. The year that I was pregnant with my daughter Jennifer, my husband, brother-in-law and nephew climbed Half Dome. They left when it was still dark, got back after dark, and my husband said he would never do that again. He could hardly walk for the next two days!

Karen J. Hopper said...

Kathy,
I'd forgot that's where Les proposed. Beautiful setting for popping the question.

Mervi,
When we had our motorhome, we would go up and spend days in the campsites. Now it's more limited as we have to pay for lodging at one of Yosemite's hotels so the pennies are spent alot faster. But I love that place!

Carol,
I love your story. I always wanted to climb Half Dome but never had the nerve. I have a fear of heights and can just see getting up part way, look down, and freeze. Wouldn't be a pretty sight!

April Renee said...

Sis. Hopper,
I don't think I will ever forget our Senior high trip to Yosimite... Talk about fun!!!!

Karen J. Hopper said...

April,
It was fun, wasn't it?