Thursday, November 5, 2009

Because of Angels


Aren't there times when you wish the news would just go away? In the day in which we live, it's the "wrongs" not the "rights" that make headlines. Praises for doing good just aren't mentioned. People thrive on the negatives. Just stand in line at the supermarket and read the headlines on the magazine covers, then tell me it isn't so. Sensationalism is number one - and we must be careful to guard ourselves so that we do not enter into this realm.

Well, enough said of the negatives, let's talk about the positives. Most of my positives are better known as "angels" - ones who bring forth pure words and allow others dignity and honor. Oft times when battling "lowliness," an angel has and does visit me in the form of a card, a note, or a phone call (even an email or texting). This heavenly communication guides me through a dreary day. The words spoken or written are not necessarily catchy or prophetical in nature but ones that convey love. A call to say I'm thinking of you. A text written, closing with the words I love you. A note saying, "You are special, and we care." Sincerity scrawled upon paper, acknowledging genuine concern. Not the inventions of long, well-tailored communication, but purity fabricated from the heart. In particular, I am drawn to a note received in 1984, scratched in pencil on a torn half-sheet of ruled paper. It said, in part, "Not fancy paper I know but like our walk with God, it's what's on the inside that counts . . . We go separate ways most times . . . but friends are special people and not always together . . . but yet, always there." This friend has never left my side and is always in my heart. And even though we have not seen each other physically for 15 years, she still remains one of my angels because she "winged" by at a time when my world was broken into a million pieces.

Today, because of Angels, I can smile, I can laugh, I can cry, I can love, I can travel through the darkness - for my special angels are friends who "loveth" at all times. The holidays are approaching so why not take time to be someone's angel. I'll guarantee a tender brush of genuine care is just what a lonely, hurting soul needs to help them soar.

5 comments:

Just a thought said...

Oh Karen;
Such a great post. Words can hurt, words can heal, words can bring a glimmer of light and hope. May your day be filled with these.

Mervi

Katrina Holmes (Tina) said...

I believe I will! Thank you for the inspiration!

April Renee said...

That was beautiful!!!Thank you for being one of mine......
Love ya

Tracie Smith said...

I love when someone is an "Angel" to me but it is truly more rewarding to be an "Angel" to someone. Thanks for the reminder.

Karen J. Hopper said...

To All:
It's alot more rewarding to be an
"angel" than receive from an "angel". I just need to remind myself of that every now and then.