Thursday, December 13, 2007

Tis the Season to Give [What?]

December is a time of gift giving. I was wondering what gifts should I give this year? Will the cost of the gift determine how much I love and care for someone? No, the price should never be the measure of my love. If that is considered the joy of giving, then let's start leaving the tags on. Or better yet, let's make sure the tags are in conspicuous places so they'll be noticed right away. Let's let our children, our parents, and our friends know they are worth $24.49, or $49.89, or $98.95, or $229.59, or (I’m sure you get the point).

Looking back, my greatest gifts came with a love price tag. Please allow me to share some. A bouquet of wild flowers picked by my husband for my 22nd birthday, slightly wilted and the stems in lengths of various degrees but still an everlasting memory gift. A green ware Nativity set from my two sons, Mark and Cameron, when they were teenagers. It was a birthday present in 1976, and a total surprise. I opened the package at midnight (been at hospital all day as my husband was in ICU at that time). A priceless gift, which is proudly displayed all year round. A snapshot of daughter Kellee (at 7), grinning from ear-to-ear (front teeth missing), wearing an apron that fell to her shoe tops, but the snap proudly proclaimed she was cooking in her class - and going to share her baked goodies with me. An absolutely adorable memory, framed close to my heart and kept in my special memories box. A bright orange construction-paper cookbook from youngest daughter Alisha (at 6). Its pages contained cookie recipes (having more glue on the pages than anything) . On the cover, handwritten in her original words, "Mommy's Cook Bookie." I still have the “bookie” in my memory box, and look at the love creation from time to time with a chuckle.

Another special Christmas gift was via a tiny grin from granddaughter Zoe (at 3-1/2 months), when her mother Barbara tried to get her to play with toys we'd given her that were for children ages 3 and up. Zoe loved the toys but just couldn't get the hang of how to use them. We lost Zoe less than two months later so I would not take anything for that gift memory. Oh yes, the two handmade ornaments from granddaughters Madison and Cassidy when they were 3 and 5 . Their little hands made ornaments with their pictures prominently displayed inside with glitter encircling the outside. They were proud as punch to give them to me, and I was equally as proud as punch to get them. These ornaments are still part of my annual Christmas decorations. A drawing by grandson Preston when he was 4 years old showing Santa driving a race car around a race track (even at 4, he wanted to share something we both loved and that was NASCAR). Four years later that drawing is still an everlasting gift, tucked away in my heart.

No money could buy any of these gifts. There are all priceless. Guess I’m melancholy but this year I don’t want currency, checks, gift certificates, or expensive presents to take the place of giving love memories. Bring on neighbor Judi’s homemade goodies, Auntie May's embroidered dish towels, or Grandma Gracie's crocheted tablecloth. Bring on special handmade gifts from the grandchildren. These are all fashioned with love.

Oh dear Lord, please let me give gifts that last. . . gifts wrapped with a portion of myself. Tis the Season to Give LOVE.

6 comments:

Jana Allard said...

Wonderful post. I hate people making Christmas commercial. It should always be about loving one another. I loved reading about your precious gifts.

Rochelle said...

This is what I want to do. I want to give gifts that last eternity... and I want to give of myself. And I want to teach my daughter. :)

Just a thought said...

On that first Christmas morn there were two types of gifts given.

The first was from the poor shepherds who had nothing but adoration to present to the new born King.

Then came the three wise men who from the treasures of their lives gave the gifts.

I, like yourself, have always been moved by the simple gift, wrapped from or with the heart. Those small moments that passes by quickly in a fleeting moment. But those memories are what bring joy and refreshing at a later time.

Mervi

Karen J. Hopper said...

Jana, you have always wrapped your gifts with love. I know because I have been on the receiving end many times. Thank you for your kind words - some thoughts were hard to pen but in doing so, it brought back some wonderful memory gifts. Love you.

Rochelle, from what I read on your blog you are already giving of yourself in a beautiful way. Your example will lead your daughter. Love is contagious.

Mervi, your words are so true. It is in the simple things that we find the most pleasure. That's why the Lord orchestrated His birth as such, to show us the better way - simplicity wrapped in swaddling clothes.

Monica Hassas said...

Sis. Hopper - I would love to see that pic of Kelle at age 7. I am sure it is adorable! I think she was born to be a cook because she does it so well - especially her guacamole. We always request it when she comes over!

Karen J. Hopper said...

Monica, I ask Kellee to fix her specialties when she visits. I too love her guacamole. Well that decides another dish for Christmas.