Thursday, April 30, 2009

Deep Roots on a Windy Day


It has been quite windy here, and after getting blown all over creation (as you can tell I exaggerate), a thought came to mind. (By the way, they are Santa Ana Winds so they are a little strong, and do they dry out the plants!). Back to my story: Winds make me think of how much we need "Deep Roots on a Windy Day" in our living for the Lord.

Recently I had occasion to be with a wonderful lady whose spiritual roots run very deep. She has faced much disappointment and adversity in her life but oh what a joy it is when opportunity allows me to be with her. She is so genuine, and asks for no praise, no glorifying words – she just “straight talks”, and in so doing, offers precious old fashion counsel. She could elevate herself and remain aloof (she is deserving of that); however, no pedestal or platform for her. This precious soul makes me think of Ruth of the Bible.

I love the story of Ruth. Ruth stood her ground even in the midst of great adversity and not once wavered. One of her remarkable attributes was consistency, which placed her head-and-shoulders above the other women around her. She labored, she sacrificed, she never complained, and in the end, she choose to go with Naomi. She stayed on the solid pathway. Ruth knew what was right and what she should ask of life. You heard correctly - a godly woman always checks with the Lord as to her comings and goings. Thank God, my dear friend and mentor has such qualities; therefore, I am always blessed when we meet.

Which leads me to the other side. Unfortunately, not everyone we come in contact with, blesses us. We all know women who are lead by every wind that's blowing - never consistent but following after every new concept or idea. You might call them our present day "Eves". Eves are curious in the way our Garden (of Eden) Eve was. Now don’t get me wrong. There is nothing wrong with curiosity if properly channeled - curiosity that allows us to go beyond the scope of eyesight and sporadic actions. If our curiosity takes us to a place of deep convictions (roots) then when deceit's “forbidden fruit” comes to our door, we will correctly handle the matter.

With all my heart I believe the Lord want us to be grounded, having roots firmly planted in Him. He doesn't need us to be tossed to and fro by every so-called principle or trendy religious concept. Well, I’ve said enough (in fact, maybe too much) but I desire deep roots. I want to stand during the storms of life, no matter what their portion. I want peace and be able to offer trustworthy words to others. I want to stand as our Bible Ruth did – unified to His cause.

7 comments:

Kathy McElhaney said...

This is so good. I know what Santa Ana winds can do to our backyard, and I know the damage the winds of the world can wreak. I want my roots deep, too.

P.S. You never say too much!

Just a thought said...

As I was reading your blog the eye in my mind was watching a very tall slender palm being blown to the point of almost touching the ground. It bent, yet was not broken, yet it did not move and when the wind is gone. It will stand once more tall and majestic.

Mervi

Faith Motivates Miracles! said...

Oh how I love those straight talkers.. We need more of those these days. Sis Nelson used to have a picture on her wall that read. "Some bless us by coming and others bless us by going!" TRUTH be told!!! lol Luv this post!!! Blessings..

Karen J. Hopper said...

Kathy, Mervi & Noel,
Deep roots are important. And I must agree with Sis Nelson's picture: There are ones I can hardly wait to "blow" away.

Carol Connell said...

Great post, Karen! I want my roots to be deep in Jesus.

April Renee said...

Roots are so important! I thank the Lord for those He has put in my life to help me develop roots in Truth!!!! You just happen to be one of them!

Karen J. Hopper said...

Carol,
Thanks.

April,
How sweet of you. Thank you.