Friday, September 18, 2009

Bye Bye Hugo




One of the fun sights on my way to work before I retired is being demolished. It is a four-story hotel at the corner of Sixth and Howard streets, known as the Hugo Hotel or the "Furniture Gallery in the Sky". It has sat empty for over 20 years. with its fame being in its art work - art hanging out its windows (i.e., tables, chairs, beds, sofas, lamps). Each of the 23 furniture pieces is attached to the side of the building with wood and steel. We were told never to worry about an earthquake because if a piece of the building fell, the art pieces would stay attached as each was solidly connected to the main structure. Nice thought, huh?

Well, being Hugo's fate is inevitable (meeting with a wrecking ball) and since I was in SF this week, I said "good bye" to my dear old friend. Bye, Bye you odd-ball landmark - you
certainly added a chuckle to many of my days.

2 comments:

Just a thought said...

Let us pray that OUR landmarks will, someday, not be moved with a wrecking ball!!!

Karen J. Hopper said...

Mervi,
I couldn't agree more. We must guard our landmarks or they too will go the way of destruction in some form.