Monday, January 11, 2010

A "Bird" in a Gilded Cage?

Last year, I was extremely impressed with a set of scripture. It's nothing fancy or flashing - or comforting and inspiring. It carries a sobering message that definitely parallels with today's society, and today's church. Perhaps you won't see it as I do. I don't know which of us would be the wiser for that...but it jolted me enough to want to draw closer to Him every day.

I don't want to be like anyone of these people in Jeremiah 5:26-31 (NLV). I don't want to be trapped and displayed as some type of trophy. I don't want to be caught up in the material, or try to find the easiest path, hoping to just slide into Heaven.

If you are interested in reading the passage I'm stirred about, it's below for your convenience.

"Jeremiah, some of my people are evil. They hide and wait just as people hide to catch birds. They set traps for men. A hunter uses tricks to fill his cage with birds. And my people have filled their houses with a lot of goods. They have become rich and powerful. They have grown fat and heavy. There is no limit to the evil things they do. In court they do not state the case of children whose fathers have died. They do not stand up for poor people.

"Shouldn't I punish them for that?" announces the Lord. “Shouldn't I pay back the nation that does those things? Something horrible and shocking has happened in the land. The prophets prophesy lies. The priests rule by their own authority. And my people love it that way. But what will they do in the end?"

My prayer until Eternity is:
Don't let me become a "bird" in a gilded cage!!

1 comment:

Just a thought said...

Your thought and text are, “very sobering,.” I, like yourself, do not want to be one of those whom the Lord thinks, should I punish them. I am or I do the best I am able to make sure that the toys which the Lord has allowed us to have do not stand between myself and the giver of life. These toys have no life, they have no light and there joy is only for a moment. When I compare that moment to the thought of time without end I make an effort to keep things in the proper perspective.

Just my thought;
Mervi