Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Kindle Not Strife

An event happening in the last few days reminded me of one of my old poems. It is a reminder of how careful we must be, particularly if we profess to be one of His. It's called, Kindle Not Strife.

Friend, I beg you to kindle not strife,
setting ablaze the core of malice.
For the sin of animosity cannot burn
unless fueled by a wagging tongue.

Therefore, speak no wrong of any man
for by careless words, evil is ignited.
Raging at the character of humanity,
scorching the soul, causing great pain.

Allow no settling of contentious wood,
which may release a fire to consume the flesh.
For in keeping the flames of agony intact,
no one is destroyed by the crime of arson.

Friend, kindle not strife through your words,
give honor and dignity to all creation.
Subjecting yourself to a governed tongue,
reserving your judgment for another day.

6 comments:

Jana Allard said...

I could say, "How did you know?" LOL Sis. Hopper, I wish more people could learn the truth of your poem. Brian and I were viciously attacked this past week-end by gossip, hatefully spewed lies. I have bit my tongue hard reminding myself of words my dad spoke, "Time proves all things." Those who kindle strife will reap what they sow.

DeadMule said...

Beautiful, Karen.

iluv2prshim said...

Sis. Hopper, Thank you for your timely post. Bro. Wilson's (Jana's Father)words are so true, "Time proves all things". And as my mother would put it, "It'll all come out in the wash". :)
Beautifully written!
Blessings

Karen J. Hopper said...

Jana,
The tongue can spew out such viciousness. Unfortunately, out of the mouth come the thoughts of the heart. Your dad's words ring true; however, it is the time in waiting for the proving that can be difficult. Praying for you and Brian. You are special.

Helen,
Thank you so much.

Ronda,
Your mother made that comment to me one time. My reply was, but what if I drown before it happens. (Oh, was I young in the Lord). She just smiled with her always beautiful smile, and I knew that the wait would be worth it.

Linda Elms said...

This is a beautiful and true poem. Mother would also add to her statement, "it'll all come out in the wash", and say, "so just keep your attitude right, because two wrongs don't make a "right". Just because they have a bad attitude doesn't mean you have to have one too." :) I just wanted to "walk down memory lane" with you all. Sis. Hopper, and Jana, when you know you haven't done anything wrong, you just have to sit back and wait, Bro. Wilson's statement will always be right. Love ya'll! People with lose tongues will have to "eat their words" and they won't taste very sweet when they do.

Karen J. Hopper said...

Linda,
Appreciate your words. Thank you.