Friday, April 25, 2008

Growing Old Gracefully

I loved this picture with its words that a dear friend sent me today - speaking volumes to the importance of how we should handle ourselves as we grow older (or become more mature). When I received this, my first thought was - whatever happened to growing old gracefully? It seems that hardly anyone finds grandeur in the state of aging anymore. Definitely to many, age maturity is outdated. To be “in” requires that one obtain eternal youth. Now I want to share my words with you. Here I go (on my soap box once again).

True, in our society many find embarrassment in having wrinkles, silver hair, etc. Being uncomfortable in themselves has led to an abundant supply of tucked-and-rolled people (in the 60s tuck-and-roll was a term used for car upholstery). However, today it pertains to rearrangement of body parts. When looking in the telephone yellow pages, I was astonished to find that where the names of plastic surgeons used to take only a small portion of a page, the list of surgeons now fills a whole page or more. Or, just look at the newspapers that actively advertise operations to vitalize faces, and overhaul bodies. Men and women in their twilight years no longer find growing old a graceful process.

What happened to the beauty of becoming a mature, caring person? Beauty isn’t the outward appearance as society would try to make us believe – it is the inner man. It is the part of us that should shed forth warmth, peace and comfort to the younger generation. Our wrinkles should be worn as battle scars of times past where we weathered harsh storms beating at our souls. Our gray hair should be a reminder of concern and worry for our loved ones and friends that took us to our knees in prayer. Our slowing steps should tell that we no longer must keep the fast pace as in the past but now we are more at peace with life and our God because we have fought a good fight and are keeping the faith. And as for our minds (well, I prefer not to go there – it would be all telling). No, really, our minds should after all these years be filled with goodness, reflections of wonderful days spent with the Lord, of times of laughter and joy with our children and grandchildren. And our minds should dwell on the beauty of just being a child of God.

Today I choose to grow old gracefully. Sure, I will stubble and fall like I have all my Christian life – but every time I do, I know the Lord will pick me up so that I can continue to mature in Him (hopefully through my heart).

10 comments:

Gayla said...

I loved this post. It is so true. Gayla

Tracie Smith said...

I deeply appreciate this post. This is something I, too, want to do. So many ladies even in our churches struggle with getting older. Our church has Life Groups which are basically small social groups divided by age brackets. Some refuse to go because they don't want others knowing their age. What a shame! I've worked hard to earn 45 on June 28!

Catherine Roseberry-Meyer said...

"Don't cheat me out of my wrinkles, I've earned everyone of them".
Great post, much needed. Out society is so "off", and there is so much emphasis on looking young, we must help each other.

Karen J. Hopper said...

Gayla,
Thank you.

Tracie,
Appreciate your words. I have noted that women in the church seems to be caught up in society's view. However if we just need to stay "young at heart" - that's the answer. PS: 45 is a "baby" on my life's calendar.

Catherine,
A person that cannot be pleased with God's aging process in their life has to be miserable (and that was not His plan). Look what He did for Sarah (I'll grow old happily without taking on that task. LOL).

Anonymous said...

Hi Sis Karen, I LOVED this picture--it just speaks to one about life's journey. The words on it & your words are beautiful, as you are. Love you--Sis Ruth G

Karen J. Hopper said...

Sis Ruth,
So good to hear from you. You are such a gracious, beautiful Christian woman who I love and admire so much, and your words mean so much to me.

Anonymous said...

Karen,

This pictures is beautiful and speaks volumes. It is a good lesson for me today, since I noticed a collection of wrinkles gathering near my chin and neck this morning!!

Being one of the few women in their mid 30's who dares to show any silver highlights, I must say it's at times been challenging. My common response when asked why I don't dye these platinum strands, is usually "I've chosen to age gracefully".

As for the wrinkles, I'm going to encourage myself in the Lord tomorrow morning when I look in the mirror and remember your words on the wrinkles of wisdom!

Karen J. Hopper said...

Shannon,
Love your comments, which add so much to my post. Life is a battle, and when we get "battle scars" it is at God's pleasure that we wear them. When I look in the mirror, I think the wars I've been in may have resulted in me be running over by trucks. However, I will wear my "age" with honor.

Jana Allard said...

This is an awesome post. You are such a great writer. I think you should have been doing this a long time ago.

Karen J. Hopper said...

Jana,
Oh, how kind your words. I love to write, and so thankful to find blogging a vehicle of expression.