Friday, May 23, 2008

Design's Struggle

Design's Struggle
by KJ Hopper

Evidence of struggle is visible in the potter's room,
with a shapeless mass heading for probable doom.
In considering the form on exhibit that day,
one hardly visions beauty being made of the clay.

The potter positions the mass upon His wheel,
clay endlessly resisting, grasping to hold to its will.
Visibly stressed, spinning in a circular motion,
one realizes this effort not an instrument of notion.

Endless designs created, none worthy to redeem,
it once again pressed down, nothing left to glean.
On goes the battle of two wills entangled in war,
a potter, a lump of clay, rivaling for the ultimate score.

Why can't the clay desire to be one of honor and glory,
surrendering to become a part of salvation's story?
The potter desires only a vessel to divinely create,
but the clay, not the potter, must choose its own fate.

7 comments:

Tracie Smith said...

Enjoyed your post! It was even made more meaningful because we recently visited an award winning potter's shop. Her website is www.judyjonespottery.com If you enjoy baked apples you should buy her baked apple pottery from her site. As we stood and watched Judy we thought so much about the 'Potter'.

Jana Allard said...

Beautiful.

Kevin Hopper said...

Wonderful post! I took Curtis to a potters shop not very long ago. Some friends of ours own it and we had full run of the place.

It is amazing to see them work and think of the scriptures dealing with the potter. We were reminded once again how we need to be flexible so the master potter can mold us into an instrument for His glory!

Karen J. Hopper said...

Tracie,
I went on Judy Jones' website. Very nice. She had one set of dishes that reminded me of some I'd seen at the Ansel Adams store in the Yosemite floor. My husband used to do pottery and I always wanted a set of dishes - but it never happened. I did do the painted designs on his pieces though.

Jana,
Thank you.

Kevin,
Everyone should go to a potter's shop and then read again the scripture - it will definitely bring added meaning to the importance of letting the Lord mold our lives.

Carol Connell said...

Wonderful poem and great pictures to go along with it! I certainly desire to moldable in His hands.

Rochelle said...

I really liked this. I have tried this once and it gave me a whole new persprective of how He molds us and shapes us. Great pictures.

Karen J. Hopper said...

Carol & Rochelle,
I like you want the Lord to mold me into what He truly wants me to be.