Thursday, May 8, 2008

My Inheritance

In doing my spring cleaning, I have come across so many things that my children and grandchildren have shown interest in. I am in the process of boxing them up, and when opportunity presents itself, they will be transferred into their hands.

True, I've been talking about material things. But what will they inherit that truly tells my life's story? What part of my life do I love and relish more each day? What are the things that I want most to give my children and my grandchildren? Let me share them with you.

My Inheritance
by K.J. Hopper

An inheritance is a marvelous thing,
Dignity of character proudly to bring.
My inheritance is not the trophies of man,
but treasures built by a spiritual hand.

One a Bible, its pages tattered and torn,
telling of daily reading until well worn.
A small handkerchief stained by salty tears,
testifing to supplications made through the years.
A miraculous healing, righting a medical wrong,
stating miracles happen when faith is strong.

Children raised knowing there is but One God,
manifested in the flesh by His blessed Son.
An inheritance of baptism in the wonderful name,
Of the Lord Jesus Christ who forever shall reign.
And then the greatest endowment given of all,
The Holy Ghost, a gift unveiling eternity’s call.

And to My Loved Ones (if you happen to read this),
You may cherish the vintage angels, the china, the die-cast collections, the watches and clocks, the knives, the California pottery, and everything else Dad and I have collected because they are a part of our makeup. BUT most of all I pray that you cherish the heritage in the Lord that was collected through many a trial, many a heartache, many a valley. Yes, that's is the inheritance I want to give you the most.
Love, Mom (and Nana)


7 comments:

Carol Connell said...

A beautiful post and a wonderful poem! This is the inheritance I want to pass on to my children too, and if the Lord wills it in the future, to grandchildren too. Thank you for this reminder to pass on the things that will really count in eternity.

Anonymous said...

Mom -
Thank you for the heritage that you and Dad have left me. Material things are immaterial in the eternal scheme of things - but the convictions and foundational truths you have helped place in my heart are everlasting.

Love ya!
Kellee

Rochelle said...

What a beautiful post! I appreciate this heritage more than words can express!!

Kari Morgan said...

So true and beautifully said. I love your words of wisdom Sis. Hopper. You are an encouragement to me!
Yes, my life is busy and hectic but I never want to forget the most important things and you have truly put things in perspective in this post. Love you!

Karen J. Hopper said...

Carol, Rochelle & Kari,
Appreciate your kind words. Love you all.

Kellee,
You have made my day. No greater compliment could be paid. I love you, Mom

Tracie Smith said...

I enjoyed your post. Happy Mother's Day!

Karen J. Hopper said...

Tracie,
Thank you. Happy Mother's Day to you too.