Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Keep Sewing On


I just became the proud owner of a new sewing machine. It has been 27 years since I've had a new machine. In fact, for the last two years, I haven't had one at all. What would necessitate that I buy one now? Projects - namely, window coverings, a Pergola cover, to mention a few. With its purchase I started to think. About what? Well, the making of garments, and the importance in a covering.

As mothers, our greatest commission is to prepare our children for life. The 31st Proverbs talks of a virtuous woman - a woman who gave much thought in readying her family for the various seasons. She knew there would be days when storms would rise - when hurricanes, tornadoes, floods, and earthquakes would appear in an attempt to destroy her children. We, like this woman, must ready our children for such times. We must design our patterns through prayer, and sow the garments with threads woven in peace. Then, when the elements beat with all their fury against our precious ones, we will have the assurance that the enemy cannot destroy them. Yes, it will take hours, weeks, months and years of preparation - time we could spend doing things for ourselves, doing what we want - but, I for one, want to make sure my loved ones are covered - as I am sure you do.

What are the instructions to make these special garments?
Believe in His Word each and every day. Have faith for His keeping. Implant in your children's hearts a desire to serve Him. Saturate them with love and thankfulness. Teach them to pray and read Biblical stories. Reward them for good works. Discipline them with wisdom. Strive to be a godly example.

The storms are brewing round-about us - getting stronger with every day. How do I know? Just listen to its sounds, and read of its destruction. It is imperative that we sew through the day and during the night. We must fill our children's closets with life's needed garments, ensuring that they will be wrapped in proper clothing so that life will not devour them. We must Keep Sewing On.

3 comments:

Carol Connell said...

Hi Karen,

Thank you for this admonition to clothe our children with those garments that are pleasing to God. I do strive to follow God's instructions for the making of these garments, and I pray that one day I will hear Him say those words, "Well done, thou good and faithful servant." Thank you for this post!

Anonymous said...

Karen,

What a beautiful word of encouragement for mothers still sitting at the sewing machine tirelessly day and night preparing for their precious little ones protection!

I too love to sew and have been making plans to teach my own daughter how to sew. This seemed to be just another little nudge that direction.

Thanks for inspiring me today. I needed to hear this.

Shannon

Karen J. Hopper said...

Carol,
I with you want the Lord to say that I have been faithful always.

Shannon,
You will never stop sewing garments for your children - you will only take in more business by including your grandchildren.