Friday, November 21, 2008

Entertaining - House or Home Style

With the holidays fast approaching, I thought how enjoyable it is to go into someone's home and actually feel at home. You notice I use the word “home” not “house” – there is a defined difference.

We've all gone into homes where we've felt genuinely welcome as well as into houses where we had to recheck our invitation to make sure we really had been invited. The door opens, we go in, and the host/hostess says, “Glad to have you” and walks away. We stand there wondering what to do next, and then sheepishly saunter into the room looking for a familiar face. When there's none, something starts gnawing in our stomach and we redraw to the darkest corner of the room. If we happen by chance to notice an acquaintance, we quickly run a relay to their side and make idle chatter - only occasionally letting our eyes scan the room in hopes to find another comfort zone (i.e., another familiar face). Oh, how I hate that feeling – just writing about it makes me shudder.

Entertaining should not be based on the quality of the food or its presentation but that the host/hostess "welcomes,” “embraces," and "receives" guests as one of their own. No, entertaining isn’t the food, although some Santa Maria tri-tip sounds good right now. I have had hot dogs and chips and enjoyed myself to no end – and then had steak with all the trimmings and wished there was a doggie bag so I could take it home to eat because the atmosphere would be much, much better. You say, you'd be by yourself - I was anyway.

Now, here's where I've been trying to go (I know, it takes me awhile – sorry – blame it on my age). What type of host/hostess are we to the world? Do people feel welcome when around us, or do they feel uncomfortable, unwanted? Shouldn't we use proper “Good News” etiquette, become the perfect host/hostess and open the door to our heart? For when we truly “entertained” those about us, we have “entertained” the Lord.

PS: Okay, so the picture is of outdoor entertaining...it's what we do almost all year round on the California coast so I'm brainwashed. No, that's not right. I couldn't find the right entertainment picture that I liked.

5 comments:

Tracie Smith said...

Awesome post!!!! You must be southern!!!! The warmth of a home is what I call southern charm. I can't stand to be in a home where I feel I have walked into a fight, a fuss, or simply wasn't invited. I want my guests to know they have blessed our home for dropping by. I think I'll place a link to your site on Charming Hospitality!

Kathy McElhaney said...

This is so true - and unfortunately I've experienced both! I definitely want to be a warm hostess in my home and in our church.

I didn't even blink about the picture. We've spent many Thanksgiving dinners outdoors!

Faith Motivates Miracles! said...

Wow Sis Hopper, that is so true. I have also experienced both. I can only pray people feel at home around me. When we go to the house of God it is the same thing. I love that our church family is so loving to all. When we moved the one thing I noticed first was how welcome everyone made us feel. We felt right at home. I cant tell you how important that is.. Love you Sis Hopper. I am always inspired by your words of wisdom.. Sis Noel

Anonymous said...

Ha, ha! You made me laugh in this post. You are funny. Anyway, everything you said here, I agree with.

There will be lots of pics that would fit this post after Thanksgiving, though, right?

Karen J. Hopper said...

Tracie,
Well, I love the southern hospitality but there are those in California that live by it too. I am a native Californian and for the last 69 years have lived in no other state. We just like people and feel they are important, everyone of them. And wow, it would be an honor to be linked to your Charming Hospitality blog.

Kathy,
Couldn't agree more...I want to be the perfect hostess. I am sure you are.

Faith,
Thank you for your wonderful expression, and kind words.

Tena,
Your family is known to make everyone feel comfortable and invited. That's a great trait. Pictures after Thanksgiving? Well, hopefully - Cameron, Barbara, Madison, and Cassidy will be here for the afternoon; and Kellee for the entire weekend. It will be a wonderful time but we will miss Alisha and Preston who are unable to come down from Oregon.