Friday, July 25, 2008

Freebies? I Doubt It

There's No Such Thing as a Free Lunch
(guess these little guys' open mouths reveal
that they either don't know that or don't believe it)

We get so excited when we think we're getting something for nothing. We send off for samples (this allows businesses to get our mailing or email address so they can sell our information to others). We get two items for the price of one (all the time we're actually paying for two with a slight discount for that privilege). We buy a car at 1.99 percent interest (car is overpriced to pay the difference in what would have been a kickback to the dealership). We apply for a credit card at zero percent interest to pay-off debt (one late payment on any of our bills, including utilities, and the card's interest rate jacks up to an absorbent amount - 0 to 21% or more). I could go on and on but I'm sure you get the point.

Sorry, it is only an illusion that we get "freebies" - in fact, it is as far from the truth as an elephant flying to the moon tomorrow morning. (Don't you dare ask me at what time its leaving).

Why, even our Salvation didn't come totally free. There was a price paid - not by us, but by the Lord. He paid the ultimate price for us at Calvary.

4 comments:

Tracie Smith said...

I agree! I had a conversation with a marketing rep. this week about this very subject. She was trying to sell me something using the line about ALL the things she was going to GIVE me! lol Nothing is ever free.

Catherine Roseberry-Meyer said...

Right, nothing is free.
Seeing how late it is, I'll for sure miss that elephant trip :) LOL But I'm gonna make it for outreach after lunch!

Anonymous said...

Ha! That photo reminds me of some people I know. :)

Pastor Hurst says this line a lot, "There's no free lunch." He's a wonderful preacher, but he is also a wonderful, wise teacher. He teaches much on living life, which is very helpful for the youth.

Have a wonderful weekend! I'm sooooo excited because Monday is our last day selling fruit at our fruit stands! Yippee! And then, Camp Meeting is coming! Love ya!

Karen J. Hopper said...

Tracie,
My husband had a "freebie" experience this week - being offered a FREE security system for our property. The catch: the contract and its monthly fees. The result: No Sale.

Catherine,
Loved your comment. You know, I was disappointed because due to the weather, the elephant launching has been moved to next week. LOL

Tina,
Welcome to have you back. Really missed your blog writings. Hope to see you at camp meeting. Love ya too.