Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Put Down the Eraser!



The slate seems to have no distinct meaning,
But in looking closely, its marks signal times past,
gathered while face to face with love.

Caution is extended me this day,
to mirror images I hold dear in my heart,
not erasing treasures that allow beauty to return.

For a day may come when family and friends are far removed,
and it will be memories that keep me strong, believing life is good,

and then I will reflect and say, it has been worth all the sacrifice.

Many times, we only think in terms of the present or future, forgetting times past with our children and friends. Some say, leave the past in the past, I don't agree (totally). There are many wonderful things to gather. Several blogging posts have reminded me of adventures had with my children - their funny (and precious) sayings, the hugs and kisses, the shared secrets, etc. Then there are the crazy times with friends, the wacky presents we'd exchange, the laughter shared, and the tears of happiness and pain shed. These are reflections that I never want to erase; for if I clean my slate, I have lost a world of happiness, joy and caring.

Erase Not Good Remembrances, for a day could come when memories are all we may have.

11 comments:

DeadMule said...

God post, Karen. We need our memories to ground us. The good memories remind (in bad times) that happiness is possible. The bad ones should sober us and make us recall that there is a lesson in bad times that we should carry with us into the present. We never know when we will need that lesson for ourselves or to share with someone going through a similar problem. Memories are a record of our lives; proof that they matter.

Just a thought said...

Sis Hopper, I don’t live in the days gone by, yet there are times when I sit and think of time gone by. I sit and remember the tears and deep emotional pain, then for me to let time and sit and watch time unfold in my memory banks, then for Mervi to be able to see where the hand of my Lord worked to both help and guide my through that dark valley.

Then to sit and enjoy the times gone by with two small boys underfoot, look at today and see those young fathers with my generations under their feet.

OH, the blessing of the Lord has made this old man rich!!!!!!!!!!!

Mervi

Karen J. Hopper said...

Helen & Mervi,
Great comments. After talking with all my kids (and grandson) in the last day or so (and with us living miles apart), I got homesick for them which accounts for the post.

Carol Connell said...

I believe it is important to cling to those good memories and to create happy ones for our children. One of the things that really helped me when my dad passed away was recalling some of the good times we had together. I realized then that although his earthly body was gone, I still had many precious memories of him. Thanks for a great post.

Tracie Smith said...

Oh, what a true post!!!

Karen J. Hopper said...

Carol,
Memories are all we have left sometimes. It is wonderful when they are pleasant ones.

Tracie,
Thank you.

Jolene Harris said...

Karen, what can I say but GREAT POST! My Dad has been gone now 19 years, my mother 7 years and my stepdad 3 years. All I have left of any of them is the precious memories. Oh how I love to walk down memory lane and relive my chilhood with those precious people. Then I also love to walk down memory lane of when my children were still at home and relive their lives growing up.

I agree, we should never erase our good remembrances.

Karen J. Hopper said...

Jolene,
Isn't wonderful to have good memories? My childhood has very few good memories but the memories with my children are precious and mean the world to me.

April Renee said...

Hey there Sis. Hopper,
You always had a way with words. I remember back in Christian school, days that I would be ready to give up, I would find a card in beautiful handwriting with encouraging words. I am learning to deal with the negitive memories of the past and put them in persective, and appriciate the good memories. I just wished I had learned to live in the moment along time ago,(like in Christian School wink) instead of learning on the brink of 40.
Thanks for the blog

Catherine Roseberry-Meyer said...

Great post. You said it, if not memories... then what?

Karen J. Hopper said...

Catherine,
Memories besides those of family and friends can be our sanity at times when our faith is being shaken, such as memories of healings, spirit fillings, etc.