Thursday, July 24, 2008

Whacked or Trimmed?


"Why has thou…broken down her hedges,
so…all…which pass…do pluck her?" Psalms 80:12

The Lord removed Job's hedge, at Satan's insistence. God wanted to prove that Job was not someone who gave only lip service but through adversity Job would continue to serve the Lord. When the trial of all trials hit Job, I am sure it felt like a weed eater had come in and whacked away his hedge. He lost everything, and everyone was looking to see how he would react. Today, the Lord does the same thing - only this time, we are the "Jobs." There are days when our hedge is removed and we stand exposed to the whole world. Being exposed can come in a whacking or just a trimming; however, no matter which, it will let us know in what shape our experience with the Lord is.

Whether we like to hear it or not, adversity reveals our true character. When we are exposed, every little thing has opportunity to get at us. We become a target to be bruised, taunted, mocked, and/or belittled. Our anxieties bring stress...stress to be what others think we should be, to go through pain within a certain time frame and a certain way, or to agree with whatever advice we receive. That's makes for stress, for sure; but the paramount of our stress is when we stand alone, face-to-face with ourselves. It is then that our flesh starts taking over, and we may think He doesn't care one bit about us or our own. In some situations, it would be far more logical to agree with rejection than believe that God cares. It is during these times that tears may cloud our vision, allowing our confidence to retreat. Hopefully, we will catch ourselves and trust that He will place His protective cover around us once again (in His own way, and in His own time).

I can guarantee that we have all had “Job” moments. So, as the Job of old, we as the “Job” of today must trust until the covering returns. I wrote the poem below a number of years ago after two of the greatest losses in my life. I remember standing exposed for the whole world to see. I wanted to retreat into a cave, and never come out - but I couldn't let my love for Him become only words, for my love for Him was originally born in my heart. I had but one choice, to stand exposed until the hedge grew back.

Why I penned this today, I don't know - but if you are in a Job experience, all I can say is, don't give in - wait patiently for the covering. The hedge will grow back. You can be a survivor! How do I know? Well, I am! (and I'm no one special but for the Grace and Love of God).

The removing of a hedge reveals not only my character
But places me face to face with contentiousness,
Leaving my heart open for bitterness to insert.
It takes words spoken in times of glorious elation,
And boisterously returns them in turmoil.
At this point, I must consider my heart’s location.

Vanity says, denounce creation, recant any inward hope.
Arrogance chimes in, "let go of what is right, what is true"
But it is here that my faith must hold strong.
In the removing of a hedge, my dedication is exposed,
A dedication, an allegiance, not found in books
But written on the pages of endless love.

If I will but believe that He does truly care,
I will allow strength to enter during weakness,
Reclaiming commitments originally sparked.
Setting my mind within reality’s boundaries,
Building a protection for peace to return.
A peace that can only come from above.

The removing of a hedge comes to all,
Uprooting adverse growth woven inside my domain.
The inner makings of my soul will be displayed,
And I will chance openly speaking thoughts once hidden.
Yes, I am destined to become a modern-day Job,
and there will be times when I stand uncovered for all to see.

10 comments:

Carol Connell said...

Great post and beautiful poem, Karen! Yes, we all will have those Job moments in our lives. May we find the strength in God to react the way that Job did, keep praising God and wait for the hedge to grow back. I'm thankful that God in His mercy, allows our trials to be only for a season.

Kathy McElhaney said...

Sis. Hopper,
This is beautiful. I've been reading my mom's Bible lately - it was the last one she carried, which was definitely during "Job" moments. The common theme I've found in her notes and verses she underlined was TRUST. It all comes down to that, doesn't it?

Caroline (Jane) said...

Sis Hopper,
Thank you for posting this today. A very beautiful and timely post. It brings hope to my heart and mind.
Caroline

Karen J. Hopper said...

Carol,
Tis a season for everything. Unfortunately we remember the "Job" ones more than the happy times.

Kathy,
Your mother was a woman of great faith - and one of my dear friends. She has left you an inheritance in the pages of Her fortress.

Caroline,
We can survive. We will survive.

Just a thought said...

I have lived long enough to have passed through a few of those, “moments of Job,” enjoyed them? NO!!

Yet, without fire the iron is just a medal, the gold or silver would not become pure, without the heating cooling and heating and cooling there would be no temper to the steel.

In my studies I have crossed a writer by the name of Frankl. His thesis is that once a man can apply a meaning or reason to what is happening to him. He is able to endure it. The meaning too many of lives trials is the perfecting of the saint and for the glory of our God.

I really enjoyed your poem!!

Mervi

Karen J. Hopper said...

Mervi,
It is inevitable that we must have Job moments. It's what we do while left exposed that will either make or break us.

Catherine Roseberry-Meyer said...

Thank you for this post. "Job moment..." yes, the hedge will grow back.

Anonymous said...

Great article. I have posted a reference to it on our site.

Thanks for sharing this with us.

Regards,

Lynn

http://godfirerevival.org
discipleship studies

Jolene Harris said...

Karen, I believe we have all endured "Job moments" a time or two in our lives and can relate to this post. But you penned it so well in your poem. So beautifully written!

May we all stand firm and stay true to God like Job did no matter what comes our way and we too shall have the hedge grow back after the "Job moment" passes.

Karen J. Hopper said...

Catherine,
So true your words.

Lynn,
I am humbled, yet honored, for you printing my post. Thank you.

Jolene,
To be a child of God, we will be "Jobs" at various times in our walk with Him. We just "endure" as you said, and we can "endure" because of loving Him.