Monday, October 13, 2008

Where's the Pin Cushion?

In Proverbs 31, there is reference to where the “jewel divinely rare” makes fine linen, sells it, and then delivers it to the store. This scripture reminds me of Dorcas, the benevolent seamstress of the Bible. I imagine she could whip up an outfit in no time, and her garments probably looked as good on the inside as on the out. Not many of us can do that but thank the Lord it isn't a requirement to being a child of God. However, I do believe that we should be able to sew on a button. But please, no safety pins unless it is an absolute emergency.
Why did I mention PINS !!??!! Well, there was an occasion when my girls, Kellee and Alisha, were getting ready to go to a senior youth camp. Both had a couple of favorites they wanted to take but were in need of repair. All went well until I got to a certain black skirt. Before I could sew the hem back in, the safety pins had to be removed. Would you believe there were enough pins in that skirt’s hem to fill a whole pin cushion? Plus, there was a ruler's length of scotch tape and a couple of staples to extract too. No wonder every time my daughter wore the skirt, it glistened brightly at the bottom. I still chuckle to this day, and have the hardest time ever using safety pins on anything – emergency or not. LOL

Now I said all that to say this - for us to be usable jewels, we must keep our garment mended. Don’t pin it, scotch tape it, or staple it. Use needle and thread (i.e., prayer and fasting) removed from our pin cushion (i.e., the Bible) to do the job right. In order to please Him, we can’t let our garment unravel or fall apart, and surely not be weighed down with pins (i.e., cares of this life).

....Happy Mending….

7 comments:

Just a thought said...

Mom would always by jeans for us that were both a little too long and a little too big in the waist. The reason so that they might, I said might, last us a little longer. Mom always used the infamous safety pin to cuff up the jeans. We, my two brothers and I, would fuss if you could see that sparkle from the pin. But mom always tried to hide the safety pin as best she could.

Mervi

Kathy McElhaney said...

I had an easy time picturing the pinned skirt. And both daughters that were capable of doing the pinning.
Thanks for the good thought.

Rochelle said...

Beautiful post. Excellent analogy!

iluv2prshim said...

I can just see that skirt! :) Great post. I sure don't want to get bogged down with "pins" (the cares of this life) in my garment. ugh.

Tracie Smith said...

I 'sew' loved this post!!!! I'm not a seamstress..have been known even to pin a hem or button!!! Yes, I get in trouble from my Mom...

Karen J. Hopper said...

To All,
I can only imagine how many times the Lord has seen something glistening at the hem of my garment. Getting pinned down by cares happens so quickly but I will keep checking my garment daily to make whatever repair is needed.

Monica Hassas said...

Wow - what a thought provoking post!
On the other hand, I can remember being poked a few times myself from safety pins in my skirts! LOL