Friday, October 17, 2008

Whole Lot of Shaking Going On


Ancient 1000 year-old Olive Trees in Israel

The scripture keeps entering my mind, "Everything that can be shaken, will be shaken". I believe this scripture is God's way of saying, hold on with all your might. It is obvious when looking round and about that I'm being shaken, you're being shaken, most everybody is being shaken. So here's my thoughts in verse, The Shaking of the Olive Tree. (Actually, it was a poem I wrote quite awhile back but seems to fit my thought process today).

Yellows, yellow greens
protrude from natural surroundings.
Unveiling a grove,
a symbol of times past, the Old World.
Its spiked leathery leaves
outline the perimeter of each tree.

Clusters of small, oval bodies
peek from among the branches.
Soon the fruit will be ready,
and then will come the shaking.
Jerking motions
formatted as convulsive shudders.

Each stark movement seems bent
on arresting the ripened beauties.
It's a harvest of great value,
a shaking not being meant without resistance.
For this is the season of
The Shaking of the Olive Tree.

We must trust in the Shaker, our Lord, like never before. We can't let our harvest's offerings be ruined by the shaker of this world, our enemy. Truly, there's a whole lot of shaking going on - but we can overcome by holding strongly to the Tree (the Tree of Life).

6 comments:

DeadMule said...

Great post. I love the idea. I love the poem. We must be ready to withstand the shaking, let fruit fall where it may.

Kathy McElhaney said...

Another thought provoking post. I need to examine what needs to be shaken out of my life and what I need to cling more closely to.

Debbie Pryor said...

What a beautiful poem and post!

Karen J. Hopper said...

Helen, Kathy & Debbie,
Thank you.

Just a thought said...

A friend of mine gave me a fountain pen and a roller ball as a gift on the completion of my degree. Attached to each pen was a certification that the wood these were made of is Olive Wood from the Holy Land. What a need set of pens and all the thoughts that have gone through my mine each time I use one.

Yes, there is or is coming a great time of shaking. My endive is getting a grip on my Lord as close as I can to the way Peter did that night on the sea!

Mervi

Karen J. Hopper said...

Mervi,
When looking around me, I believe the shaking has already started but it is only the beginning.