Friday, February 13, 2009

The Beauty of the Rosebud, the Exquisiteness of the Orchid

Written in memory of my granddaughter, Zoe Claire
November 10, 1995-February 13, 1996

Today, tomorrow, and forever, I will search for life's beauty,
beholding the rosebud and the orchid. Prominent profusions of elegance,
with swirls of perfumed fragrance floating about.
Each flower has figurative and ornate expressions.
A rosebud, its petals budding forth with cherished remembrances,
An orchid, elegantly proclaiming intricate, unblemished grace.
Both adorning the corridors of my soul to arouse wondrous delight.

What an unblemished beauty Zoe was. Radiant, gorgeous, full of grace and love. She was royal. Yes, royal, and so therefore the beauty of rosebuds and exquisiteness of orchids described her as perfection.

We all have memories, most good and some devastating. But in all we can either let it build our character or break it. Allotted to me have been two of the greatest hurts that a mother and grandmother could face - the loss of a child and a grandchild. Many have said that life isn’t fair. No, it is not, but if we will hold fast, as calamity came unexpectedly, so will the day come when the absolutes of cause and reason will move aside and the beauty of loving, of having, of caring will comfort us. It won't be because we no longer hurt, but because our memories are more precious than any pain. We will find ourselves holding to faith, yet not understanding.

While living in the Bay area, there was a small valley nestled near our home with several greenhouses sprinkled around. Each grew beautiful flowers - roses, orchids, daisies, tulips, chrysanthemums, asters, dahlias, and many, many more. I loved going into their flower shops, where buds and blossoms of every size, shape and color were offered. Sometimes it was hard to pick out a bouquet to take home, or up the hill to where our granddaughter was laid to rest, or over the Bay to our son Mark's final resting place. Every time I found myself carefully scrutinizing the flowers, numbering the beauties scattered among baby breath and other inexpensive fillers. What I want was the most beauty. Never did I zero in on the fillers or ordinary flowers, and say, this is the most beautiful floral arrangement I'd ever seen. I was drawn to the predominant feature, the central attraction - for me, it is and was rosebuds and orchids.

What am I saying? Well, we must never hide the beauty of memories among fillers but focus our attention on the special blossoms grown in our life’s garden. When we pick a bouquet from the garden God plants for us, we must always choose the best flowers available. Why? Because these gardens have been sown with seeds of love, moistened with tears, and cultivated by caring hands. Please don't feel that I wish for sympathy - I do not! My garden is filled with beauty – a beauty complimented by a wonderful Savior, an absolutely precious family still with me, and two beautiful blooms that have gone on to a better place. My garden displays "The Beauty of the Rosebud, the Exquisiteness of the Orchid" - bringing forth a prominent bouquet in my life’s arrangement.

". . . array thyself with . . . beauty." Job 40:10

8 comments:

DeadMule said...

To this, I cannot add a single word. Love, Helen

Just a thought said...

One great post!
Having lost a wife, what I call early in life, I can touch some of those raw feelings you show. How can I do this, because I know these emotions from the male perspective? The sadness the long hours of loneness, I know how they feel. The one thing I have done and try to encourage others at the loss of love. Remember the times of love, wonder and laugh. These are the tender leafs of the tender rose. You hold it take in the aroma and the tenderness and then return it to its place in our album of memories.

Just my thought;
Mervi

Kathy McElhaney said...

This was absolutely beautiful.
I love you, Sis. Hopper!

Carol Connell said...

Beautiful post, Karen. It's been 15 years this month since my dad passed away, and I too cling to the precious memories that I have of him. Thank you for sharing your wonderful perspective on this sensitive subject.

April Renee said...

Sis. Hopper,
No one can thier feelings into words like you.That was beautiful!
When my Granmother died after not knowing her as a child but an adult, I felt the loss more significantly since now I understand more not just what I lost through her death but what I didn't have in memeroies from my childhood like I should have. I only has 13 years with her but those memories I cherish!
Thank you for giving me perspective to the situation and helping me let go of some "not fair" anger.
Love ya

Karen J. Hopper said...

To All,
Thank you for your kind words.

Catherine Roseberry-Meyer said...

Simply beautiful...

God bless you Sister Karen,

Love you.

Karen J. Hopper said...

Sis Catherine,
God bless you too. With love!