Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Taking 1,000 Steps


A couple of weeks ago the Presidio Trust opened a section of the Immigrant Point/Coastal Connector Trail. The new part of the trail, called the "1,000 Steps", descends from an overlook near the Golden Gate Bridge, winding downward along the hillside. The hike takes about 20 minutes from start to finish. It's the ascending that - well, don’t ask how long it takes because all I can say is that it was designed to accommodate the Hulk, Superman and Spiderman types.

The 1,000 Steps offer beautiful coastal views, while passing through mossy pines laden with red pine cones as well as aromatic eucalyptus trees. Could do without the aroma part as I'm allergic to eucalyptus...oh no, here comes a headache and trouble breathing and I'm only thinking about it. Well, let's get back to my story - at the bottom of the path is a little bridge over a gully, with a log bench where nature lovers can take in the beauty of Creation.


If any of you are interested in visiting this place, be sure to bring your tennies the next time you head to San Francisco. And since you must climb back up the steps, be sure to take along a liter of water - and possibly, a couple of oxygen tanks and a cell phone to dial "911". (If you are like me and "Papa", it would come in handy.)

Seriously, the whole experience is wonderful and makes one think: What if we would make an ascension of 1,000 Steps toward the Lord and His work? I can guarantee one thing that no enablers would be needed and the sights along the way would hold beauty beyond measure.

4 comments:

Just a thought said...

The journey of a thousand steps calls to mind the words of the old Chinese proverb, “The longest journey begins with one step.”
My goal is to do little more than taking one step at a time.

Love the picture of the bridge!
Mervi

Kathy McElhaney said...

On my run this morning I saw snow, but only from the highest point. I have seen many beautiful sites when I continue climbing.

April Renee said...

All my little blonde mind can think is....WOW!!!
;0) What a thought!!!!!

Karen J. Hopper said...

To All,
Thank you. Aren't we blessed to be able to "climb" higher in Him?