Monday, June 2, 2008

From a Senior's Prospective

My neighbor emailed this to me, and I had to share a few Senior thoughts that I must admit swirl about in the crevices of my mind (or what’s left) from time to time. Ah, the golden years, never knew they could be so funny (oophs, I meant - be so much fun). Or did I mean funny - Oh, I can’t remember what I meant!

Senior citizens are constantly being criticized
For every conceivable deficiency of the modern world,
Real or imaginary we know that we take responsibility
for all we have done and do not blame others.

HOWEVER, Upon reflection, we would like to point out
that it was NOT the senior citizens who took:


The meloday out of music,
The pride out of appearance,
The courtesy out of driving,
The romance out of love,
The commitment out of marriage,
The responsibility out of parenthood,
The togetherness out of the family,
The learning out of education,
The service out of patriotism,
The Golden Rule from rulers,
The Nativity scene out of cities,
The civility out of behavior,
The refinement out of language,
The dedication out of employment,
The prudence out of spending,
The ambition out of achievement, and
God out of government and school.

And we certainly are NOT the ones
Who eliminated Patience and Tolerance
from personal relationships and interactions with others!
And, we do understand the meaning of Patriotism,

and remember those who have fought and died for our country.

YES, I'M A SENIOR CITIZEN!
I'm the life of the party......Even if it lasts until 8 p.m.
I'm very good at opening childproof caps... With a hammer.
I'm usually interested in going home before I get to where I am going.
I'm awake many hours before my body allows me to get up.
I'm smiling all the time because I can't hear a thing you're saying.
I'm very good at telling stories; over and over and over and over...
I'm aware that other people's grandchildren are not as cute as mine.
I'm so cared for with Medicare, long term care, eye care,
private care, dental care, and who care(s).

I'm not really grouchy,
I just don't like:
Traffic,
Waiting,
Crowds,
Lawyers,
Loud music,
Unruly kids,
Barking dogs,
And a few other things
I can't seem to remember right now.

I'm sure everything I can't find is in a safe secure place, somewhere.
I'm wrinkled, saggy, lumpy, and that's just my left leg.
I'm beginning to realize that aging is not for wimps.
I'm sure they are making adults much younger these days,
(and when did they let kids become policemen, I'm wondering)
And if you're only as old as you feel, how could I still be alive at 150?
And my kids be older than I feel sometimes?

I'm a walking storeroom of facts.....
I've just lost the key to the storeroom door


Have a great day to all my blogging friends, and remember it's only Monday, and at any time you could meet up with a Golden One who "lost their key". Just be kind because your "golden" hour will be here before you know it.


5 comments:

Rochelle said...

This was great! I am Filipino, and was brought up with a great respect for my elders. Respect is built into our language. We address our elders with words that have been designated only for them. When we walk into a room there are mannerisms we are expected to use. It is simply built into our culture and I like it that way. I have an even greater apprecitation for it now that I am a little older and see those younger than I am showing me that respect. It's humbling and it's a reminder to make sure I am an example to them. This was a great post! Fun facts filled with truth! Funny how things appear differently with each added year to my life!

Karen J. Hopper said...

Rochelle,
What a great comment. It was so beautiful, and filled with love and caring.

Catherine Roseberry-Meyer said...

I work with two Filipino ladies and I see what Rochelle is saying. In my days, we were raised in the same manner (without special words and such), in the Old Western World.
Fun post and so right! I found myself checking what fits :)

Anonymous said...

Ha! I got a good laugh from this post! Thanks it was needed.

~Mindy

Karen J. Hopper said...

Catherine,
I was raised the same way Catherine, and right in California.

Mindy,
You are too young to need this!