Saturday, June 21, 2008

Serious Calculation

Thought I'd pen my thoughts this day through a poem. I see our world spinning out of control, and while I consider myself a Christian, the signs and sounds round about have made me reassess my life and then ask: Am I seriously counting the cost?

Ten Take Away Away Five

A total of ten will start out in the race,
Filled with excitement, keeping the pace.
In daylight hours, each will sing and shout,
Enjoying the beauty of promises lain out.

The ten will hold fast while the sun does shine,
Earnestly vowing to remain part of Thine.
But as shadows begin their placid descent,
The number will wane due to inner discontent.

Comes night dreadfully dark, with need for light,
Oil is quickly consumed, making lanterns burn bright.
Alas, the supply diminishes, no time for some to refill,
Seems the event is now losing its original thrill.

Comes a knock at the door, announcing Grace,
Who will answer the call, having finished the race?
A count will disclose only five now remain,
Their lanterns trimmed bright, a new life to gain.


Parable of the Virgins
Matthew 13:1-13

2 comments:

Carol Connell said...

Beautiful poem, Karen. I certainly want to be like the wise virgins, full of God's Spirit and ready for His return.

Karen J. Hopper said...

Carol,
Thank you.