Thursday, June 12, 2008

Out with the Weeds



Did you know that you can have your cake (flowers) and eat them too? It's true. I was reading the California Country (a magazine we get for being Farm Bureau members), and was intrigued by an article on the beauty of using and eating flowers.

Although true that many flowers are edible, not all are palatable. Broccoli, cauliflower and artichokes are technically flowers that are eaten as vegetables. But I'm talking: pansies, violas, nasturtiums, roses, snapdragons, marigolds, to name a few. You know, it just may be time to till up that empty (weed) patch in your backyard and plant flowers you can eat. In fact, after I write this post, I may head out to see what yummies my husband is growing in our yard. Might be fixing him a dish of snaps - and not peas - tonight.

I must admit that it will take a spell to acquire a taste for a flower dish. Can't imagine putting a spot of crystallized snapdragons atop my salad or on my sorbet. And then I'm not in a hurry to accent my mousse with glazed mini roses. Or a sprinkling of marigold petals floating on my soup isn't appealing either. Now sugary pansies on cake may not be half bad.

As you can see, this is a topic that has captured my fancy. Did you know that the art of crystallizing flowers has been around for hundreds of years? It's just a dip in egg whites and coating in sugar and you have a edible treat. If you are interested in knowing more about these treats, please check out Katy Morse's book, Edible Flowers: A Kitchen Companion - or go to a web site specializing in crystallized treats, Sweetfields. I guarantee you will never look at flowers the same.

Well, must hush as I'm off to the garden in search of some dandy candy(ing) flowers.

4 comments:

Carol Connell said...

Very interesting concept. I looked at the website, and the certainly have some beautiful looking wedding cakes. Do you think you'll try any of their products?

Karen J. Hopper said...

Carol,
I am hoping to buy try some of their products. Can't wait to see the look on friends' faces when a dessert is garnished with some flowers.

DeadMule said...

Think how lovely rose petals would be in salad with everything else green.

Karen J. Hopper said...

Helen,
Yes, it would certainly be a pleasant sight - and if what they say is true, would be pleasant to the taste buds too.