Monday, August 4, 2008

Refining Our Words


Words are celestial invitations
Utterances spoken upon being tried by fire
The heat melting away all imperfection
Can I withstand the fiery purging
numbered seven, in honor of redemption?
Is my desire great enough to honor the undertaking?



Why would I pen such a poem? Please realize that I am not trying to be hateful but I am so tired of hearing words and seeing emails that have no place being connected to a child of God. Certainly we are free beings with a distinct voice but I wonder, would the Lord go around saying (and sending emails) that reflect such character slamming?

Unfortunately, we live in a nation of negativity and degrading the dignity of man. It is not only in politics but is prevalent in the church - destroying the character of the ministry, its leadership, as well as the character of many of its saints. And it doesn't stop there! It runs rampant in families - pitting one member against another with loose, hurtful words.

Please don't misunderstand my post as we must enjoy the "wild" antics of others, laugh at oddities said and performed, and just enjoy chuckling about others (and ourselves) and their (our) "whacky" ways. The world would be a difficult place to live in without humor. However, we need to laugh with, not at others (if we choose to laugh at ourselves, that's up to us). Can't we just disagree (which is a God given right) without being disagreeably UGLY?

Well, with that said, I can get off my soapbox now, zap those "ugly" emails I keep receiving, and get ready for camp meeting.

3 comments:

Kathy McElhaney said...

Excellent!! Please get back on that soapbox from time to time. Unfortunately, in our world, all you said is too true.
Have a wonderful time at camp meeting!
Love ya!

DeadMule said...

I agree. Soapboxes are sometimes the best place to be.

Karen J. Hopper said...

Kathy & Helen,
Sometimes when I try to get down off my soapbox, I slip and fall in my mind. Thanks for the confirmation that I may have been on track.