Monday, September 15, 2008

Tied with Love

Had to share the History of APRONS with you as its words speak volumes of truth. One lingering memory of the apron was my Grandma Livingston daily drying her eyes with her apron after a season of prayer while sitting in her rocking chair, Bible in lap. Life was simple back then - hearts were filled with love for God, family, friends, and neighbors alike - and there wasn't any thought of choosing sides against another - just hearts filled with love.

“The principal use of Grandma's apron was to protect the dress underneath, but along with that, it served as a potholder for removing hot pans from the oven. It was wonderful for drying children's tears, and on occasion was even used for cleaning out dirty ears.

At the chicken coop, the apron was used for carrying eggs, fussy chicks, and sometimes half-hatched eggs that needed to go to the warming oven (or incubator).

When company came, aprons were ideal hiding places for shy kids. And when the weather was cold, Grandma wrapped it around her arms. Those big old aprons also wiped many a perspiring brow that was bent over the hot wood stove. Wood chips and kindling wood were carried into the kitchen in that apron.

From the garden, it carried all sorts of vegetables. After the peas had been shelled, it carried away the hulls. In the fall, the apron was used to bring in apples that had fallen from the trees.

As unexpected company was driving up the road, it was surprising how much furniture that old apron could dust in a matter of seconds. Then there was dinner - when it was ready, Grandma would walk out onto the porch, holler as she waved her apron, and the men knew it was time to come in from the fields to dinner.

It will be a long time before someone invents something that will replace the old-time apron that served so many purposes.

Oh, and can't forget that Grandma used her apron to set her hot baked apple pies on the windowsill to cool (now her granddaughters set their pies on the windowsill to thaw). Wouldn’t we go crazy trying to figure out how many germs were on an apron? However, I don't know anyone whoever caught anything bad from it; I can only think of something good, and that was love.”

Today, let’s put on a spiritual apron,
tie it with our heart's strings,
and then Give to Others Love.
Okay?

9 comments:

DeadMule said...

Very nice. The apron was a symbol for love in addition to all those other functions.

Just a thought said...

From the male perspective, I can remember my aunts in Nebraska and their aprons completing many of the tasks you have mentioned. The sight of those wonderfully colored aprons and the smell of a roast, chicken, pies and once in a while fish. These bring make many wonderful memories of my early child hood.

Great post thank you for recalling some old memories and a truth.

Mervi

iluv2prshim said...

This brought back some good memories of my grandmothers. Thanks :)

Anonymous said...

When Troy and I got married, an older saint in his church, Bro. Banks, wanted to give us a wedding gift. Being that he wasn't able to drive and get to a store, he gave the next best thing he could think of, it was a couple of his wife's aprons that she wore often. To this day I still have them. I also have an apron my mom made me the year before she passed. I will always cherish them and occasionally I still wear them. Call me "old-fashion," but I love them. She always had one clean and ready to use. Love the memories this post brings back.

Debi

Catherine Roseberry-Meyer said...

I love it! Beautiful post. I'm a big sentimental - happens once you pass 39... LOL
I have aprons from my father, my mother and my grandmaman, plus some given to me by dear friends.
It was automatic as you took your shoes off and put on on house shoes or slippers.
I wore aprons for years, until about 10 years ago.
Don't really know what changed things.
Love your words in the end.

Carol Connell said...

Beautiful devotional filled with wonderful memories! Thanks for sharing.

Karen J. Hopper said...

To All,
Glad you all were able to go down the Memory Lane in your lives. Memories are wonderful things, if we will look to the good ones (and discard all others).

Anonymous said...

Awwwww...what a precious post. Thanks! I loved it!
Do you wear an apron? I do sometimes. Maybe I'll wear one more often when I become a grandmother. :)

Karen J. Hopper said...

Tena,
Tried wearing an apron but it didn't work for me. Loved them on others though.