Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Why?

The Bible tells us that God is no respecter of persons, so honestly, why do we place people into certain categories? Namely, those worthy of our attention, those not worthy of our attention. Why is a person with title more important than the person living in a drug or homeless shelter or impoverished in a ghetto? Why do we continually distance ourselves from those that society has made us think as undesirable? Why do we choose who should know the Lord, and discard those for whom we feel there is no hope? Shouldn't we see mankind as our Lord sees it - Souls (every soul) needing Him and His touch.

My Prayer:
Lord, may my heart continually be open to Your Will so that Your Spirit can be made manifest in my countenance, actions and words. Don't let me get caught up in the material, financial and political happenings surrounding me every day but may I focus my attention on people who are hurting and without. Those who are in desperate need of peace, joy and happiness. Don't let me look at their present lot in life but look to what you are capable of doing with their lives. I know I can't win the world Lord, but let me go down trying because it is the cause that truly counts. Amen.

7 comments:

Kathy McElhaney said...

This reminds me of what happened in Fresno many, many years ago. I may not have all the details exact, but the story goes something like this - when Bro. Layne was the pastor he saw a hippie on the street and thought "he needs to get a job". Then God spoke to Bro. Layne - "he needs Me". That was the beginning of an amazing revival!
God, help us to see everyone through Your eyes.

Faith Motivates Miracles! said...

Love this post Sis Hopper. God has been speaking to me about the very same things. Love you...

Catherine Roseberry-Meyer said...

Talk about "one mind and one accord"...
Jesus died for ALL. I've looked at the city lights coming downhill from Inland and wept.
You and I can reach people, one at a time, there and here, and so can our sisters over there, and our brothers over here. My heart is aching for the lost these days. I'm trying to do my part the best I can.
The first comment is beautiful... the world needs God first - then comes a new life!

Karen J. Hopper said...

Kathy, Noel & Catherine,
So many souls in need of the Lord that it is overwhelming at times; however, we can make a difference. Blessings to you all.

Steven Saiz said...

You are so right on! Great post!

Anonymous said...

Oh, Sis. Hopper, I feel the same.
This past Wed. night, a young man of 17 - been in the church for less than a year - brought a homeless lady. She smelled bad, but our church embraced her and treated her JUST like someone dressed in fine clothes and smelling good.
I believe this is a sign of the future for our church.
Bro. Matt Maddix has a saying that God gave him:
"If you reach for the ones no one wants, I'll bring you the ones everyone wants."
Everyone IS special to God!
In fact - in seems easier to reach the down and out because they need something and someone.
A lot of the people who are doing well in life - money, job, etc. don't think they need God.

Thanks for this wonderful post!

Karen J. Hopper said...

Bro Saiz,
Been watching your posts, and can an explosive revival is at the door for your church.

Tena,
I am so excited as the Hollister church is ripe for a major breakout. You all have such desire and burden. Am praying, and know I will see many posts from all of you in Hollister.