Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Christmas Star



Poinsettias are such beautiful accessories for the holiday season. I always find myself filling my home with these beauties, which is most appropriate because poinsettias are called "Christmas Stars" by many.

These flowery shrubs (yes, they were originally known as shrubs) began association with Christmas in 16th century Mexico. Legend tells of a young girl who was too poor to provide a gift for the celebration of Jesus' birthday. An angel came to the child and encouraged her to gather weeds from the roadside, then place them in front of the church altar. Miraculously, crimson "blossoms" sprouted from the weeds, turning into beautiful poinsettias. 17th century Franciscan monks in Mexico started including the plants in their Christmas celebrations. Today, we just can't do without a few "Christmas stars" in our holiday decor. It's called Celebrating Jesus, just as it happened centuries ago.

4 comments:

Tracie Smith said...

I love Poinsettias!!! They adorn my stairs and welcome guests at my front door! Merry Christmas...

Anonymous said...

I love them too! There are some interesting colors out now days but, I like the traditional red.

DeadMule said...

I love poinsettias, too. Cats, however, eat them. So I have to put them too high, where they get hot and I forget to water them. Still, I get one most years. Not yet this year.

Karen J. Hopper said...

Tracie,
They make beautiful decorations. Wish I had stairs to put them on.

Tena,
There are beautiful colors now but I still love the red ones the most.

Helen,
I have never heard of a cat loving to eat them. Very interesting.