Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Danger! Be Careful!

“Deception is a cruel act…it often has many players on different stages that corrode the soul.” Donna A Favors

Today I will mount my soapbox to speak from my heart, or maybe it is just from my mind, but whichever, it is a very prevalent issue to me. Practically every day I hear where someone I know takes a detour in life’s journey. In fact this last week, I had conversations with loved ones from four families where deception had taken one of theirs. What happened? The New Testament tells of a time when deception/delusion will be found on an unprecedented scale – it being so convincing that even the very elect would stand in danger of being carried away (Matt 24:24). How many exactly will be overtaken? I don't know but it will come to try us all – no one is immune, not one.

Most seem to attribute the act of deception to the “man of perdition” only. However, I believe the scripture is speaking in general, with such acts tied to all MEN, not one, or two, but ALL. When I was a child, it seemed that everyone reverenced God. No one would think of stealing from the church, defacing the things of God, talking evil of God’s word, or lying to God’s people. And you could take any church goer at their word (no lies, Period). I didn't attend church; my dad was an atheist and my mom went to church on Easter only but I, as others, respected God and His people. Now the reverence/respect has dwindled, and many feel it acceptable to “exaggerate”, talk in the “gray area”, "sin all day/repent each night". Why has the fear of God departed from our midst? Why do men/women feel they can live any way they wish and their salvation still be assured? Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe said it best: “We are never deceived; we deceive ourselves.” Deception is a empty hole allowing us to believe everything we say and hear.

No doubt we are living in the Laodicea hour when the church is prey to self-deception. Undoubtedly, in the Lord’s view (Rev 3:14-22) this age church is one of the poorest and most wretched as well as blinded in church history. We definitely take pride in having more gifts, more power, more gospel (definite deception; there has and always will be only one), more ministries (what happened to the basic 5-fold one? didn’t it work?) and more prosperity than any previous church (there’s nothing wrong in prosperity but haven’t we misread what prosperity SHOULD really entail, i.e., prosperity of souls, home/foreign mission works, etc. - and not always read as actual dollars and cents? Our personal dollars and cents are called blessings, not prosperity).

I am concerned, I am shaken, and I am saddened. Could delusion be sweeping into my thinking, and becoming a part of my makeup? Am I truly aware of the many rival voices clamoring for my attention? (these voices having taken hold of many I thought would never be deceived). Oh Lord, may I look deep into my heart, removing any deceptions lodged therein, and in so doing I will work out my salvation with fear and trembling.

Well, I will step down off my box now.

11 comments:

Tracie Smith said...

I enjoyed your soapbox! So true...

Just a thought said...

Deception, dishonesty, ruse, trickery, dishonesty and cheating.
I could not agree more with you, Karen. WE are at the time when people will do almost any time to make their evil look good. Some years ago a young evangelist was here preaching for us. One evening after service we were talking and he was getting ready to spend one year studying the Bible. All by himself, we will be helping you in your studies? Oh no I am going to do it just like Paul all by myself. Then you also do like Paul and present yourself to an elder to judge your doctrine? The poor young man gave me the oddest look, and a feeble no. I commented that if you are really going to do it like Paul you must. I have only heard that this poor young man has gone astray. I have used this comment so very many times, “You must make the Bible balance with its self. If no, then I am wrong.”

We do have a problem or we are in the midst of a shaking.

Mervi

Kathy McElhaney said...

Thank you for stepping up on your box and making me think this morning. God deliver us from the spirit of deception.

Susan Hill said...

So true! It is unbelievable times that we live in!

Dr Rick said...

Someone after my own heart. I have written a book on the last paragaph of Revelation 3, Laodicea, called The Yawning Church of the 21st Century. You can check out the author page at theyawningchurch.com or the video intro at christian.com/view_video.php?id=2139

Mindy said...

Sis.Hopper,

Thank you for your post. It made me want to go pray and ask God to make His paths clearer to me. In my opinion you can get on your soapbox more often.

DeadMule said...

Good post, Karen. One to make me think, though, perhaps, outside the box. Although I believe we are in the last days (because how could time be going forward?), I think we read too much into Revelation, which is the account of one old man's vision. Undoubtedly, the world is changing, and often not for the better. But so many of the people for whom Christ died are in the "gray areas" that we dare not dismiss them. I try to concentrate more on loving in Christ than I do on trying to untangle Revelation, which often leads to assigning roles. Certain people have done this for years, but their assigned players have turned out to be just regular sinners, as opposed to special ones. We are all sinners and more alike than different. Maybe this wasn't what you meant for me to think. But then, I do kind of think for myself. I think that's why God gave me a brain.

Karen J. Hopper said...

To All,
I appreciate each and everyone of your comments. We must guard our hearts.

Helen,
You go right ahead. It enlightened me to somethings I hadn't thought about. The "gray area" of which I was speaking was people speaking half truths, half lies to cover their sins (sins of stealing, adultery, immorality, name slander, etc). I have heard so much lately that is the reason for the soapbox. I respect your view of Revelation but my feeling is that it is just as much a part of God's Word as the other Books, each written by one man. Thanks for once again helping me "think outside the box". That is a good thing, and we need it to keep us straight as we progress toward our ultimate goal. God bless.

DeadMule said...

Karen, Please know that I do think Revelation is a part of God's Word. As much so as any other book of the Bible. But when I look at who chose those books (using certain criteria, yes, I know), I wonder how many other books or letters or blogs or ... ought to be considered just as indicative of God's word as the 66 that "made the cut." Into who's ear did God whisper, "That's enough. I'm through talking now."? LOL

Karen J. Hopper said...

Helen,
Very true. Thanks for your insight. I love to push my mind into the thinking mode, or at least what's left of it.

iluv2prshim said...

Excellent post. I agree wholeheartedly! We must be careful not to fall into the trap of deception.