Friday, December 19, 2008

Montgomery Ward Icon



Guess my mind is running wild this week on things that are a part of Christmas tradition (in a few days I will focus on the real reason for the season but still being a child at heart, please allow me the liberties to rant). I got to thinking of that little deer that heads Santa's "flying unit". Cute little guy who has never completely grown up (kinda like me).

I love Rudolph, the red-nosed reindeer. Many people probably aren't aware that "Rudy" only goes back to the early-to-mid 20th century. His character began as an attempt to promote a chain of department stores. In fact, he was born the same year that I was (oh no, just revealed my age! Come to think of it, he's just a baby, not old at all. lol). His birth year: 1939.

The large department store chain, Montgomery Ward, had been giving away coloring books every Christmas for years, and decided it was time to produce its promotional give-away inhouse. Robert L. May, who worked at Ward's as an advertising copywriter, was commissioned to write a story for young readers - the result: Rudolph. Robert May's character was a result of his own childhood experiences; the story of a picked-on kid who made good, prospering as a result of the very attribute the others made fun of.

Thus Rudolph the red-nosed reindeer became an icon among Christmas traditions. I LOVE RUDOLPH, don't you?

Rudolph, the red-nosed reindeer
had a very shiny nose
and if you ever saw it
you would even say it glows.

All of the other reindeer
used to laugh and call him names
they never let poor Rudolph
join in any reindeer games.

Then one foggy Christmas eve
Santa came to say:
"Rudolph with your nose so bright
won't you guide my sleigh tonight?"

Then how the reindeer loved him
as they shouted out with glee
"Rudolph, the red-nosed reindeer
you'll go down in history."

4 comments:

Tracie Smith said...

Oh! I love Rudolph....

Merry Christmas!

Just a thought said...

Ah yes the great touch of nostalgia.
Mervi

DeadMule said...

What a great post, Karen. I love the glitter and wonder of Christmas as well as the babe born that we might live.

Karen J. Hopper said...

To All,
Wonderful time of the year...and yes, Helen, Jesus is the Reason for the Season.