Sunday, July 26, 2009

I've Got a Long Way to Go


I’ve got a long way to go. . .to be like the Lord.
I’ve got a long way to go. . .to be like Him.
I’ve got to be merciful, dutiful. . .faithful and true,
Kind and just. . .in all that I do.
I’ve got a long way to go. . .to be like the Lord.

I don’t remember trudging
Up a rugged hill,
With a cross upon my back.
I don’t recall a thorny crown
Thrust upon my brow,
Now, as I look back,
I’ve never been spat upon,
Ridiculed, wounded
In my side,
Life’s no bed of roses,
But still I can’t deny,
I’ve got a long way to go. . .to be like the Lord.

Traveling onward, upward,
Daily, Lord, am I
On my way to victory.
And when I reach my Calvary,
Someday by and by,
Lord, remember me.
I want You to strengthen me,
Encourage me, deliver me I pray.
For I know my weakness,
And that is why I say,
I’ve got a long way to go. . .to be like the Lord.

(I love this song!)

8 comments:

Kathy McElhaney said...

Me too! I was humming it a while back and could only remember the first verse. Thanks for the second!

Just a thought said...

Ahh yes, one of those songs that has both a message and leaves us or shows us a ray of HIS hope.

Mervi

DeadMule said...

Karen, I've never heard this but like it a lot.

Carol Connell said...

I have always loved this song. Even though I've been serving God for 30 years, I've still got a long way to go, but I'm so thankful that He's still working on me.

Karen J. Hopper said...

Kathy, Mervi & Carol,
It is a great old song. Truthfully Kathy, I had to google to get all the words because I'd forgotten part of them also.

Helen,
I heard this song when I first started living for the Lord 40 years ago. Rev. Merrill Ewing, Lake Charles LA, was the one singing it. I don't know if it's one of his songs on youTube but think you'd like what he has to offer - they are filled with so much meaning (and his wife Joan wrote many of them).

Tracie Smith said...

I haven't heard this song in many many years but I love it! I couldn't help but sing it rather than read it from your post. I do have a long way to go to be like HIM but I am trying every day.

Karen J. Hopper said...

Tracie,
I hadn't heard it in years either, and the other day I just started singing it. I'm trying to be more like Him too.

Catherine Roseberry-Meyer said...

I've got a long way to go... but I'm determined to keep on!
Merril Ewing... I played his CD "In the chapel" this morning during devotion with my grandson and last night during our time of prayer. In fact anything this awesome man of God sings is perfect for prayer, such tremendous anointing. I remember when he came to our area to preach a crusade. One of the services, he sat and cried for a while, couldn't sing or preach. We did hear him deliver the Word later.