Wednesday, July 1, 2009

The Challenge of Sorting

At first when you look at the picture, you see dark horses - but when looking closely, you see the real objects. It's that way in life too, and thereby makes sorting out the real from the illusory one of life's greatest challenges. How often is there a disconnect between our perceptions and the underlying reality? Things are not always as they first seem. At first we see the zebras' shadows as prominent, and the zebras themselves as minute. However when the light fades and night comes, the only things remaining are the zebras. The shadows are gone.

What am I trying to say? Well, seeking what seems good can be bad for us, and accepting what seems bad can actually be good. We can't allow ourselves to be drawn to the shadows that fill our lives. We must have confidence and seek out the "zebras". We must believe that the Lord is working on our behalf at all times, even when it doesn't seem that way.

The Prayer of an Unknown Confederate Soldier expresses my thought for this day.

I asked God for strength that I might achieve.
I was made weak, that I might learn humbly to obey.

I asked for help, that I might do greater things.
I was given infirmity, that I might do better things.

I asked for riches, that I might be happy.
I was given poverty, that I might be wise.

I asked for power, that I might have the praise of men.
I was given weakness, that I might feel the need of God.

I asked for all things, that I might enjoy life.
I was given life, that I might enjoy all things.

I got nothing that I asked for but everything I hoped for.
Almost despite myself, my unspoken prayers were answered.

I am, among all men, most richly blessed.

2 comments:

April Renee said...

Sis. Hopper,

There's a scripture in the Bible that says,
"In our weakness HIS strenth is made perfect..."
And that HE is faithful to complete what HE has begun in us.
I guess finding the zebras is living in God's will for our lives.
Thought provoking for sure!

Karen J. Hopper said...

April,
Yes, thought provoking that's for sure.