Tuesday, July 28, 2009

The Lighthouse


There's a lighthouse on the hillside that overlooks life's sea
When I'm tossed it sends out a light that I might see
And the light that shines in darkness now, will safely lead me home
If it wasn't for the lighthouse. . .my ship would sail no more.

Everyone that lives around us. . . says tear that old lighthouse down
The big ships don't sail this way anymore. . .ain't no use in it standing round
Then my mind goes back to that stormy night. . .when just in time I saw the light
Light from that old lighthouse that stands there on the hill.

And I thank God for the Lighthouse. . .I owe my life to Him
Jesus is the Lighthouse and from the rocks of sin
He has shown a light around me that I might clearly see
If it wasn't for the Lighthouse. . .where would this ship be?

Can you tell? My heart has been filled with song this week - and this 1971 song is just another testimony of the Lord's love, mercy and grace.

7 comments:

Kathy McElhaney said...

Another old favorite. I remember it from the "Layne Trio" record.

I don't even want to think about where this ship would be without the Lighthouse.

April Renee said...

I love this song!!!
How true it is, when life is stromy and the wind,waves and fog keep us wondering and searching for shore, then all of a sudden we see a light flashing at us towards saftey.
Thank God for the Lighthouse!!!!!

Karen J. Hopper said...

Kathy,
Ron Hinson's sister was a good friend of mine when we lived in Santa Cruz and they did in Salinas. She told me about this song, and gave me a tape to listen to it. Great song, with lots of meaning.

Helen,
Thank you.

April,
I love this song too; guess it's in part to that I love old lighthouses. Would love to see everyone of them in the world. There is a peace and serenity about them - and a strength.

Carol Connell said...

I love this song too, and I love lighthouses. One of my favorite unit studies that I did with my kids was the one on lighthouses. We ended our study with a trip to the Point Bonita lighthouse in San Francisco. May the Lord shine through us even brighter in these last days.

Just a thought said...

I also love and enjoy this great song. Are in that genetation that is talking of tearing our light house down?

Mervi

Catherine Roseberry-Meyer said...

I too love this song. The words, its the words in the old songs....

Karen J. Hopper said...

Carol & Catherine,
Songs written from the heart and sung from it too.

Mervi,
Hadn't thought before but the song does say "everyone that lives around us says tear that old lighthouse down". Unfortunately that is what many are saying.