Tuesday, January 15, 2008

A Crossover, A Way to Go Home


Last week was spent in San Francisco for my husband’s doctor appointments, so it allowed me a chance to revisit the wondrous beauty of the Golden Gate Bridge. Seeing its towering presence spanning across the two peninsulas brought reflections of the years I commuted to and from work across the bridge. Each day the trip was so special - seeing the beauty that God had placed all around the structure. However, the best part was the return each night. It was the crossing that would take me home (and inspired me to pen this vision).

In the distance looms a monumental symbol of strength,
with framework structured to bravely stand all alone,
its temperament as solid as the rock anchoring it in place.
What a magnificent span between two borders,
with cables suspending high above glistening waters,
a magnificent creation constructed with painstaking care.

Fortified gates open to greet the weary traveler,
as a welcome passage over nature's restraints.
Its centerpiece, a display of paired towers,
with columns joining clouds like friends meeting for a party,
allowing celebration of the victories of sovereignty,
yet bonding the mass into a place of agreement.

Not all will perceive its infinite dignity,
nor discover the importance of its existence.
A beautiful symbol linking city to countryside,
declaring the unity of man with the elements.
To many it is an invitation beckoning all to travel its pathway,
But for me, it is a crossover, a way to go home.

My daily crossings bonded me with the Bridge forever. Its majesty and strength are etched in my heart as a reminder of what my final crossover will be like, and the beauty I will see during that journey. I pray you too will etch a place of beauty in your heart, allowing you to reflect often on the trip home to see Him.


10 comments:

Kevin Hopper said...

Fantastic pictures! I do miss the days of wandering around the city and seeing the sights. One of these days we will all cross over and won't that be a great day!
It will be our final trip , but when we see Jesus it will be worth it all! O what rejoicing, O what singing, O what shouting!

Anonymous said...

Mom -
Great post! I have worked for this magnificent Bridge for over 12 years now and, even though a huge part of my job is to promote the inherent beauty and elegance of the structure, I sometimes become desensitized to what a great career/workplace I have. This brought the blessing I have back to mind.

But, more importantly, thanks for the reminder that all of us are on a much more important journey than crossing a physical bridge - we are on a journey to meet our Savior! That is the one crossing I can never become desensitized about or fail to remember.

Great job, Mom!
Kel

Chandra said...

Your poem is fantastic. ;O) I believe that it is important to always remember why we are living this life. It sounds cliche, but I am living this life to LIVE again. God's beauty and blessings still amaze me. I am privileged to know Him!

Rochelle said...

Beautiful poem. I haven't been to California in quite some time. I graduated HS in San Diego (Poway to be exact) and then moved soon after that. But I always long to go back. I used to visit the SF area often. These pictures make me visit soon!

Catherine Roseberry-Meyer said...

I've never been to San Francisco, but it looks amazing.
My mind went immediately to a song by Bro Ewing that talks about crossing many rivers.
One day we'll cross the last river and we'll be home. What a great day of rejoicing that will be! When I think about it, to be with Jesus, it will be worth it all.

Karen J. Hopper said...

Kevin, I love the pictures too. Had so many to go through but these two stood out (use the others at a later date).

Kellee, thank you so much for your inspiring words. Always enjoyed the days we crossed the bridge together, the discussions we had, the many reflections on life, and the great gospel music playing. I miss those times. But thank God, our goal is the same, making the crossover - that delights my heart. Love you dearly, Mom

Chandra, thank you. I was so thankful it came out okay. Yes, we are so privileged to know Him - and that He accepts us as His.

Rochelle, thank you. San Diego is a beautiful place too. I love going there. Last time we went to SD, we went Amtrack down the coastline. Wow - makes me want to go again.

Catherine, San Francisco is a place of beauty, but also a place where so many people need God. My heart still cries out for them. I've heard the song of which you speak. What a blessing when Bro. Ewing sang it.

Jana Allard said...

Beautiful poem. Your thoughts are so good. Thanks for sharing them with us.

Karen J. Hopper said...

Jana, thank you.

Anonymous said...

Ah.. I loved this post! I have many fond memories of that bridge, including a special date with my dear hubby after being separated by many months and many states.

What a day that will be, when my JESUS I see. That will be a much sweeter occassion than any date in history!

Karen J. Hopper said...

Shannon,
It certainly is a bridge that leaves quite an impression, that's for sure. By the way, Cameron proposed to Barbara right in the middle of the bridge, on the sidewalk.