Thursday, January 31, 2008

The Nature of Joy

Really feel confirmation in posting this thought today. It's been on my mind for several days now, and wham! this morning I found "Joy" being discussed on several blogs. Even my daily devotional spoke of it - so here's my contribution as to how I see JOY.

Is that joy I see? Busily chatting with nature,
as it jumps small pebbles immersed in clear water
Do I hear joy’s sound above the lofty pines
perchance to lend cheer to those in its path.

Joy - happily singing, reaching out, touching
always careful to stay safely within its flow
Soon it will move cautiously toward the bank
then dart away to once again begin swirling motions.

Joy will speak tender melodies to the deepen pools
before losing composure to plummet downward
Over the waterfall to gracefully unfold as a silk fan
reaching out to join others in a mission to rejuvenate the land.

Yes, it is joy I see - Joy - bubbling with laughter,
pouring its temperament into the earth’s character.


Well, today I am making a choice. No "doom and gloom" for me - I choose JOY unspeakable and full of glory.

Picture: Happy Isles, Yosemite National Park

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Karen, I recently found your blog and I just wanted to let you know how much I appreciate that poem. You are so talented. There is so much doom and gloom in the world today, but as Christians, we should be able to overcome it because we are living a life victorious in Christ. I have found that when I read blogs that are "down", it tends to put me in a sober mood, maybe somber would be a better word. How much better and uplifted I feel when I read happy, encouraging material. If you would like to read another poem that is joyous, check out "The Fountain" by James Russell Lowell.

Megan said...

I choose Joy!

Catherine Roseberry-Meyer said...

Do you remember singing "Joy unspeakable and full of glory"?
I like the last sentence, I can see "Joy" bouncing and bobbing!

DeadMule said...

Hi Karen, This is nice. I like how joy is "cautious" then "darts' and "loses composure." You make joy real. Love, Helen

Karen J. Hopper said...

Judy, so glad that you found my blog site, and hope you will visit often. And I want to thank you for your words. I truly appreciate the kindness you have extended me. It truly is overwhelming. And yes, The Fountain is a joyous.

Megan, glad you chose Joy, although you always seem to possess that quality.

Catherine, yes I remember singing it many times. In fact I have been singing it all day since my posting.

Helen, I respect your critique so much. Thank you, kind friend. Truly I had so much fun writing this poem. In the process I gain a new appreciation for what Joy really entails.

Anonymous said...

You know, I spoke with someone yesterday, that is at the darkest time of their life. I told them that I would pray that God would give them strength, peace and JOY that was beyond comprehension right now. It is amazing how often I have prayed for these things for myself and God always come through. Even when the situation hasn't changed, our feelings can! Thanks for your beautiful post!
Susan

Karen J. Hopper said...

Susan, Joy can shine in the midnight hours. When we learn that Joy and Sorrow are inseparable, that's when we are conquerors. Love you, Aunt Karen