Wednesday, January 9, 2008

A Plain Brown Manila Folder Or ??

What a major project to find the right folders to store an accumulation of last year’s receipts, records, etc. You say, just how hard can that be? Well, it was pretty hard. Especially when you’re looking for the plain ones. It seems Office Depot, Staples, Office Max, etc., are promoting the colored folders (color coordinated, guaranteeing easier access to documents). It’s true, colored folders work very well, but so do the durable plain, brown ones.

Talking about folders reminds me of people. Its getting hard to find people that possess individuality. They’ve become copies of what society believes they should be - also known as, excellence through conformity. In other words, unless they look like movie stars, dress according to the latest fads, live in large homes (with a mortgage to match), and drive luxury vehicles, they haven't arrived. Does that mean the “chubbies” wearing bargain basement specials, living in 1,200 square foot homes, married with kids, a dog and cat (maybe a fish), and driving small cars or SUVs are unacceptable? Are only the colored folders "in" and the plain folders "out?" Come on, let’s get real, and be ourselves. The Creator never wanted us to be “cookie-cutter characters”. He made us as individuals, flawed and imperfect. He only wants us to try our best to please Him.

Well, I’ve made up my mind! I’m going to remain my own person and not become a carbon copy of what society “thinks” I should be. Just put me in a plain, brown manila folder, and file me under "Work In Progress.”

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Karen,

Never really thought of my life as a file folder before, but I think I'd definitely be categorized in the plain, brown category! Guess what? I love it. It kinda reminds me of the color of clay, and since I'm still on the Potter's wheel I think that's the right folder for me!

Kevin Hopper said...

Yes! Aunt Karen I'll join you in that "Work in Progress" file! A great thought for today!

Karen J. Hopper said...

Shannon, your brown folder experience is reflected in the marvelous work you are doing through your prayer and music ministries.

Kevin, it is fun to have individuality, isn't it? It allows us freedoms most don't know. Have a good day.

Linda Elms said...

Good thought and so true! "Work In Progress" folder is where I want to stay. I want to be what HE wants me to be! God help me and others when we decide to become something we are not...all decorated with the things of this world, but of no value! Have a great day!

Catherine Roseberry-Meyer said...

I don't want to look, think, talk, act, move, smell, or pick up anything from the world. Who cares what the world thinks of me? Timothy Spell sings "I want my Father to be proud of me", that's what matters.
Great Post Sis Karen.

DeadMule said...

I don't think the colored folders are necessarily better. They just cost a bit more, so, of course, we all "need" them. LOL Helen

Karen J. Hopper said...

Linda, one of these days we will moved from the "WIP" files to the "Completed" files located in Heaven. That's so exciting.

Catherine, amen and amen again.

Helen, I agree 100%, Truthfully I think I own as many colored folders as I do the plain brown ones.

Jana Allard said...

I don't want God to ever stop working on me. Great post.

Karen J. Hopper said...

Jana, I too don't want God to stop working on me.

goodstewards.wordpress.com said...

I love your words "...unless they look like movie stars, dress according to the latest fads, live in large homes (with a mortgage to match), and drive luxury vehicles, they haven't arrived."

It's amazing how many Christians use movie stars as their role models rather than our many heroes of the faith. It also amazes me how easy it is even for me to fall prey to such thinking.

I am so happy that God is merciful to me. I pray that He renews my mind and transforms my thinking over and over again until I am what He wants me to be... even if it's a plain, brown manila envelope.

Thank you for an excellent post.

Karen J. Hopper said...

On My Mind,
Thank you for dropping by and adding your comments. They were so appreciated.