Sunday, February 10, 2008

An Ant, I Ain't

Watch out! The Ants are coming! (Just found some!) With the weather changing, these little creatures will be evading our cabinets, countertops - and basically our homes. Oh, how they love to march inside, taking ownership of our space. I dread their appearance because it means getting out the aerosol can and giving them a Raid bath. Oophs, to those that are ecology-minded, I am so sorry but this is the one time I must use the “no-no” can and take charge.

Well, perhaps I should look at them in a different light.
These little ones have never come close to extinction (been on Earth for more than 100 million years). All I can say is that whatever they’ve got going for them is successful. Could their longevity be due to their highly organized colonies (i.e., nests)? Each colony may consist of millions of “workers” or “soldiers” who work their entire life for the female “queen”. The workers devotion to the queen is unparalleled – toiling endlessly in unity to accomplish a common cause.

Makes one think, doesn't it? If we as humans had but a percentage of the ants’ devotion, resilience, and intensity - what could we accomplish? Looking closely at this little tiny touch of God’s creation gave me inspiration to write the following poem.

The ant is a lesson, working until day’s end,
in its relentless mission, not willing to bend.
Placing trust in a carefully planned scheme,
determination becoming its triumphant theme.

The ant never contemplates defeat as it toils,
or that its harvest may become the enemy’s spoils.
So be mindful that in the ant’s countless pursuits,
d
evotion and perseverance are agreeable recruits.

Well…An Ant, I Ain’t - but a devoted, steadfast Soldier for the King, I truly want to be.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think that the "working together" is a major key here. If we could just accomplish that I do believe that our "colonies" would make it!

Karen J. Hopper said...

Susan, you are so correct. It is unity of the body that will bring the church success. Hug Cherish for me.

Rochelle said...

I think it's wonderful the lessons we can learn from all of His creation. :) I too want to be a devoted, steadfast soldier for the King.