Saturday, January 17, 2009

I Love This Guy!


Happy Birthday Popeye
80 years old today

I'm Popeye the Sailor Man
I'm Popeye the Sailor Man
I'm strong to the finich
Cause I eats me spinach
I'm Popeye the Sailor Man

Popeye made his debut January 17, 1929 in a comic strip called Thimble Theater. Originally the comic centered around Olive Oyl and her eccentric family but Popeye eventually took over the entire strip because his spinach-eating character, with its strength and perseverance, was so irresistible.

But why did I REALLY post this? It's simple! Today we are host to the same plot as the 1929 cartoon. Many times we are overtaken by bullies which work at wounding us. Popeye didn't stay down so I say let's not be pushed down by every wind of dissent and hostility - let's become "Popeyes". Why all we have to do is pull out our "can" of faith, flex our spiritual prayer muscles, and through perseverance, strength will come to foil any eccentric situation in our pathway.

BTW: Visited my friend Tena's blog this morning, and wham! There was Popeye. Guess great minds think alike. lol She's posted an old cartoon so take a visit to watch Popeye.

4 comments:

Just a thought said...

Thank you sis. Hopper for one more GREAT thought.

Mervi

Anonymous said...

Ha ha! I just looked at your blog and there was Popeye again! That's cool that we both like him so much. Brutus is sure mean, huh?
Enjoyed your analogy. :)

DeadMule said...

Hi Karen, I like Popeye. too. And your message.

Karen J. Hopper said...

Mervi, Tena & Helen,
Amazing how the old cartoon characters never seem to fade away, which is a good thing.