Tuesday, January 27, 2009

What Is Life?

There are times when we must step back to evaluate what's most important in life, and in so doing, get our priorities in order. Today is a marked day in my life, so here are my thoughts.

What Is Life?
Poem written in memory of my son, Mark
(12/25/60-01/27/93)

What is life? It is but a brief moment,
a vapor, to appear then suddenly vanish.
It takes our plans, tossing them into obscurity.

Consider life's uncertainty, its presumptions.
Daily we put our trust in false securities,
assuming them safe as mist over a field at dawn.

Vapors reluctantly moving, breezes following,
portrayed as two children engaged in a game of tag.
"Unconditional" and "Conclusive" are their names.

The chase begins, with life designated to be "it".
There will be no escape, no place to hide,
for we are vapors, small fleeting seconds in time.

6 comments:

Kathy McElhaney said...

Sis. Hopper,

I've said it before, but my many, many memories of Mark always bring a smile, and usually a laugh. He was always my friend.

Love you!

Debbie Pryor said...

Sis. Hopper, Mark had a way of making those around him laugh. Praying for you!

DeadMule said...

Beautiful poem. A great way to honor your son. Love, Helen

Anonymous said...

Sis Hopper, this is a beautiful poem. What a great way to think of Mark. I am sure he is happy about getting all of this attention. Love you and you are in my prayers. sis keyes

Karen J. Hopper said...

Kathy & Debbie,
Mark was a character that beat to his own drum, which was sometimes good and sometimes...well...not so good. However, his smile was contagious. Thank you for your sweet comments.

Helen,
Thank you. What a compliment - I feel honored. Love you too.

Karen J. Hopper said...

Sis Keyes,
Thank you so much. Love you too.