Monday, January 12, 2009

Saying Goodbye

HOPPERS STOREHOUSE
“A Collection of Yesterday’s Memories Today”
Offering Years of “Collectible Addiction”


Sadly I said goodbye to my dear friend. One that had been by my side since year 2004 when I retired from my position with the PUC. Faithfully this friend and I spent every day together - collecting, gathering, taking photos, writing script, etc. We had an ideal working relationship.

What happened? December 30th was the day I closed my eBay store. Yes, Hopper's Storehouse officially went into eBay's Electronic NeverNeverLand. I really miss the old "girl" although it has only been "X" number of days since we ceased partnership. Thought it time to go our separate ways as the store hadn't really made any money for the last year and one-half - but before that, it offered excellent added income ($1000-$2500 a month net). However, with the ways of the economy and folks no longer looking to "wants" but focusing on "needs", my cash cow quit giving milk. Plus the trips increased to my husband's doctors in San Francisco making it increasingly difficult to run the store. Sure I continued (selling sparingly) this past 1-1/2 years, but mostly the sales just paid for eBay/Paypal fees and the cost of the items (and on most occasions, it did not do that). How many people want to buy expensive bone china, vintage California pottery, and other unusual/prize items when there is the rent/mortgage, groceries/clothes/gasoline, etc. to pay for? Nope, the volume just wasn't there. Let me give you an example: Last month I sold approximately $250 worth of items; paid $80 in eBay fees; $15 in Paypal fees; items sold cost me $550. Now let's see, that's a non-profit of $395. (unfortunately that was a monthly happening).

Now I don't want to leave on a sad note because I enjoyed every minute. I met some of the nicest people throughout the United States, Canada and the World - reaffirming that people, in general, are good, honest, and caring. I am thankful for the space I had to converse with these people and which allowed us to share our God.
Well, old buddy. Thanks for everything. Bye for now - got to get to packing away my collectible items, and if the economy picks up, I'll be back to open another store. However, til then, I'll leave it all as an inheritance for my kids and grandkids. Imagine that sounds thrilling to them (heehee). (Know they like Pottery Barn better).

7 comments:

Just a thought said...

I cannot only, “feel your pain,” but experienced the same thing. In 1999 when I had the problem with my right arm, I went from a happy outside salesman to SSI disability almost overnight. The sadness of loss can only be understood by those who have endured a like kind of loss. I do hope that things are going better with your husband. I enjoy the trip to the city by the bay, even the view from 400 Parnassus, about the seventh floor. I still do not enjoy all the little incisions I am carrying. This last time when the closed the laparoscopic sites, I am GLUED together. Hay, I just might come unglued!?
Gods best to you and yours in the New Year;
Mervi

Kathy McElhaney said...

Les is the eBayer in our family - he both buys and sells - but I think he's had a lot more success with the buying!

Debbie Pryor said...

Sorry to hear about your store closing. When one door closes, God always opens another. Praying for you. :)

Karen J. Hopper said...

Mervi, Kathy & Debbie,
Oh I hope I didn't come across as it being a bad thing. It is part of life and the changes we must make. I just will miss the wonderful people I became acquainted with. Like you said Debbie, another door will open to use to promote Him.

Carol Connell said...

Sorry to hear about your business closing. We are feeling the sting of a down economy here too. My husband has his own business doing industrial hygiene consulting, and things have been very slow. He is praying about and thinking about going into something else but not sure what at this point, but I too believe that when God closes one door, He will open another.

Anonymous said...

Hey, you changed your blog!

It's been a while since I've had a chance to sit down and update my own or check up with my friends online. Sorry you had to close down your E-Bay store. I remember you were talking about the lack of volume last year at this same time. I guess this is just one of those good things that had to come to an end. It's been nice today reading through some of your posts. God bless! :)

Karen J. Hopper said...

Carol,
I think after I get used to not being so involved in eBay business, I will enjoy the quiet time. However, it was fun while it lasted.

Shannon,
Good to hear from you.